My nose looks too flat and short and the tip underprojected after rhinoplasty/septoplasty. Will it change? (photos)

Im 11 days post-op. I feel like half my nose was chopped off and it doesn't suit my face. I know it's still early on in the process and I'm trying to be positive but it's difficult because I look like the worst version of myself. My friend have made comment too. Is my nose too small for my face? I can't share my concerns with my surgeon for some time as part of the conditions of the procedure.

11 days post op

You are very early in the healing process from rhinoplasty and you have to give it time to heal. Best of luck. The swelling can take a year or longer to diminish.

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question.  A rhinoplasty is one of the most psychologically challenging plastic surgery procedures that one can undergo.  It is not uncommon for patients to feel like their new nose is not their own.  Based on basic facial measurements your nose does not appear to be too small for your face and your profile view has improved.  As time passes you will notice that the nasal tip has more definition and you will become more accustomed to your new nose.

Will my nose change ?

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Im 11 days post-op rhinoplasty

At first your nose will always seem a bit unfamiliar after rhinoplasty and taping can help as  the swelling subsides. Remember it will take several months before you will see the shape and result.

Thank you for your question and photographs.I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results but you are still so early on in your recovery and your nose will continue to change as the swelling resolves and the tissues soften. You need time to get used to your new nose also, it may be a shock to you to look in the mirror and not see the nose you have lived with your entire life. It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. My advice would be to wait at least a year or until all the swelling has resolved and reassess you nose then. I hope you find this helpful. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

It looks fine

I would have every expectation that with time you will have a nice looking nose that suits your face and you will be a happy patient. Put your iPhone away. 10 minutes mirror time per day. Get new friends. Wait patiently. Sorry if this seems harsh but someone has to tell you.

Mark Baldwin, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with only ten days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty change

It looks like you are healing well, but you are still early in the process.  Give it time and keep your expectations calm while you finish recovering.Best of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-Operative Concerns

Thank you for your question.  You are very early in the healing process, and from pictures that you posted, you appear to be healing well.  It will take from 6 months to one full year before all swelling resolves from the nasal soft tissues.  I would continue to follow up your surgeon's post-operative instructions closely, to assure that you continue to heal.  Also, be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon