Clicking after rhinoplasty.

I have a columella the strut placed for increased tip projection 2 months ago. when I smile or push on my lip, I can feel it click. I know this is sometimes common but could this be an indication that the graft is loose? I pushed on my nose a few weeks after surgery so I'm a little concerned. I talked to my surgeon and he said everything looks like it's healing well. would he be able to tell if the graft had shifted just based on a physical examination?

Columellar strut and clicking sensation after rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, the clicking sensation you describe can occur after columellar strut placement and is a result of the lower part of the strut (at the base of your columella) sliding against the anterior nasal spine. This may improve with time as the complete healing process after a rhinoplasty can take up to 1 year. However, if it persists and is bothersome, I would recommend having your surgeon re-evaluate and determine if a small revision could help correct this. Good luck!

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clicking After Rhinoplasty

I would avoid pushing on the nose.  It take weeks to months to heal from Rhinoplasty surgery.  Allow time to heal.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Clicking from columellar strut

This can occur as mentioned below with certain expressions.  You probably did not harm the result when you pushed on your nose after surgery.  If there are no change to the appearance, not to worry.

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is chance the graft is moving and causing the clicking.  As scar tissue forms, this may seal down and go away.  If the graft had really shifted, you would have noticed the tip off to one side and the nostrils asymmetric.  The doctor would also be able to tell by exam.  If it still looks good there is nothing to worry about.Best of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clicking from columellar strut

One of the complications with a columellar strut long enough to reach the anterior nasal spine (common for increasing projection of the nose) is that you may hear clicking when making certain expressions.  As long as there is no tip deviation, you don't have to worry.

Rhinoplasty , columellar strut

If there is a clicking with smiling but it does not effect the appearance or shape of the nose then you do not need to worry. Only if a deviation happens that the strut might need to re-adjusted. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clicking noise after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  A clicking sound in the nose may be a result of the cartilage and bone rubbing up against each other,  which is not unusual.  However, this is something you should discuss with your rhinoplastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Clicking can occur from a  columella strut placed.  Sometimes this can be corrected by trimming the base of the graft.

Columellar strut graft

Hello and thank you for your question. I have seen this exact situation before.  The strut graft is moving and may need a slight trim.  I recommend you return to your surgeon and share your concerns.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question.You are still very early on in your recovery and should limit the amount you are touching your nose. Continuously pressing on it could potentially cause a complication in your healing process. If your doctor examined it and said it seems to be healing fine and saw no issues, then I would just leave it alone and let it continue to heal. The healing process can last anywhere from 12-18 months, so I would wait until then to re-assess it and if it is still making that noise or bothering you then have another examination performed by your surgeon and discuss a potential revision to correct it.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon