"Lollipop" vs "Anchor" Breast lift for big breasts (G cup, down from HH) with grade 3 ptosis and "empty" skin - pros and cons?

Due to weight loss, I am having a breast lift at Xmas as my breasts now sag though I still have a lot of tissue. I do NOT want a reduction (I like having large breasts); I obviously want less sag, but the loose skin is my main issue (had my breasts stayed full but sagging, I would not have surgery). I would like opinions on how a surgeon decides what incisions to make, whether I can get a decent result with just a lollipop incision, and whether it has any impact on e.g. loss of sensation.

Breast lift

sounds like you are large enough so it will require the full "T" type scar...but if you submit a single photo I think you'll get a lot more help from this forum.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Use of Lollipop vs. Anchor Incision

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Lollipop vs anchor

For really large breasts, I prefer the anchor.  It gives you more immediate results as far as breast shape goes.  The lollipop will require a lot of reassurance from your doctor letting you know that everything will settle out in months.  

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Full breast lift

Thank you for your question.  By your description, you have a great deal of loose skin of the breast which will require a full "anchor" type breast lift.  You should focus on finding a surgeon who can provide a nice, round, projecting breast lift rather than trying to limit incision length and compromising your result.  The scar locations are dictated by the degree of skin excess.  Minimal skin excess may only require a circumareolar lift, moderate skin excess a lollipop lift, and significant skin excess an anchor lift. Again, its not extent of incisions/scars that is so important, but how the lift is performed internally.  Best wishes!

Thank you for your question.  A photograph would help.  And in personal examination is necessary to properly and see her question.

Based on the size of breast that you describe it is likely he will need an anchor left to adequately remove the excess skin. For more information on breast lift please read the link below:

The more skin that is removed, the more scarring that you get.

Hello Honey,

Different surgeons will have different preferences for the techniques used, but broadly speaking, if you remove more skin, you get more scarring.  For this reason, the lollipop lift is often reserved for smaller lifts.  Having said that, it can be used for bigger lifts and reductions (in fact, I have written a paper about using if for massive breast reductions).  

Unfortunately, a lot of plastic surgery is more of an art than a science and I would advise that you try to find a plastic surgeon with good results and that you feel you can trust rather than being too prescriptive about the type of scarring used.

Personally, I find that a horizontal extension is often required to avoid a bump or fold at the end of the lollipop scar and this horizontal scar will vary in length according the amount of skin removed.

Good luck, look for a plastic surgeon who is fully qualified by looking at the BAPRAS and BAAPS websites, which are our plastic surgery associations.