Wound separation after breast anchor scar lift. (photos)

Hi. I had an anchor scar Breast lift and buttock implants 3.5 weeks ago. The results have beengreat but on Friday I noticed that the left breast scar had opened slightly. . I asked my doctor and they said manuka honey would be good. It seems to be ok, is slightly sore ( I have to lie on my front for 3 more weeks ) I was on broad scope ciprofloxina for a month but I run out of that on Tuesday this week. I'm hoping that o could get some reassurance that this looks ok. I read that this is normal.

Wound Separation after Anchor Lift

Depending on your procedure, those with incisions around the nipples, there is the potential to affect your areolae during the healing process. Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. 

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If you are worried that your incisions or scars are not healing well, then it is a good idea to visit your surgeon for an examination of the area to determine how well the healing process is going.

Wound separation after anchor lift

Thank you for your question. A small wound separation such as yours is not uncommon after anchor lifts or breast reductions which use the same pattern of incisions. It is important to be in close communication with your surgeon. Conservative wound care, keeping the wound clean and dressed and preventing infection will help the wound heal uneventfully typically within a few weeks. You should be in contact with your surgeon at least weekly until it is closed, not just to monitor the wound but for your own peace of mind.

Wound dehiscence after mastopexy

Wound dehiscence, or opening up, may sometimes occur after breast lifts. Even though this complication is frustrating, it is normally managed just by wound care. Manuka honey ointments are one of the topical treatments that can be used, so it seems that you are being managed well. It is important to have regular followup with your surgeon and to notify him/her of any adverse changes if they occur.

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift Wound healing

Hi there and thanks for posting.

Whilst I would not say that this is "normal" it certainly can happen and should not adversely affect your long term result.

This is best managed by your treating surgeon. If you were my patient, I would want to see you at least weekly until things were healed which should only take a few of weeks. It would be important for example to know what type of sutures were used, and when they dissolve.

It does not look like you have an infection, but closer examination is required to give an accurate picture and possibly a swab taken to make sure you are on the correct antibiotics.

I usually use simple dressings in these situations but sometimes a dressing with silver impregnation can help if there is a suggestion of infection.

Hopefully things will settle down quickly for you, these incidents are annoying but as I said rarely influence the long term result.

Wound Healing Issues

Wound healing issues are common with breast lifts. As long as your plastic surgeon is seeing you regularly for care to make sure there is not an infection; the wound should heal on its own. Just follow doctors orders as they are given to you. 

Wound healing

Wound healing issues are common after breast surgery like this.  As long as someone is seeing you regularly and assuring that you no longer have infection, this should heal on its own. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon