Will microneedling improve my breast lift scars? What kind of improvements can I expect? (photo)

Microneedling for breast lift scars

Yes, microneedling can be used to improve scars.  The scars won't disappear but can certainly be improved.  Microneedling shouldn't be considered earlier than 6 months after surgery.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Microneedling for breast scars?

Great question! Microneedling is an excellent treatment to improve the appearance of scars.  The micro-needles cause new collagen and elastin to be deposited, new capillaries to be formed, and new skin cells to be created. I would advise waiting 4-6 months before starting your Microneedling treatments and also consult with your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss any other forms of scar treatment that are available. Good luck! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling for Breast Lift Scars

Congratulations on your decision for surgery - the results look great! Remember that the scar will continue to remodel over the course of 1 year after surgery. During that time it is ideal to do everything you can to protect the scars and make them heal as well as they can. This involves protecting them from too much sun, using sun block regularly, and keeping them moisturized and keeping the breasts well supported. During the year after your surgery, the scars will naturally continue to lighten and normalize in color if they are protected. If it has been over 1 year, microneedling or laser treatment may be a good option to help soften the scars and fade the color. Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling and breast scars

Thank you for your question.  Microneedling can certainly improve scars and works well in all pigmenation types.   A newer techique is using platelet rich plasma (PRP) with microneedling to enhance results due to the growth factors.   I wish you improvement in your scars.  All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD