My scar looks bunched up, is there something wrong with it? (photos)

Three weeks ago I had my implants removed and had a breast lift. The whole procedure took an hour. I'm worried that the surgery was rushed because my scar doesn't look like a sharp line. My nipple also looks odd underneath. Does it look normal to you?

Scarring after a Breast Lift

It does appear to look like your incision and scars are healing as to be expected at 3 week post op. Generally it does take approximately 6-8 weeks for your sutures to completely dissolve and flatten out.  However, it does take about a year for the scar to completely heal.   I would recommend starting a scar treatment cream at this time. 

Happy healing!

Scars 3 Weeks Post-Op

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If you continue to worry about your scars and healing, it would be best to visit your surgeon for an examination of the area to make sure that healing is progressing well. 

Normal Healing

Your incision looks typical for a 3 week post-op patient. I would suggest getting started on scar care as soon as possible, if you haven't already. Your incision will smooth out with time. Best of luck, and I hope this answers your question!

You are healing well.  I suggest you start a silicone gel scar cream as soon as your surgeon allows it to help obtain the best scar.  

Scar is normal at this point

Thanks for your question and the photo. At this point things look normal and should begin to smooth and settle out. Certainly doesn't look like someone was "rushed". Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Bunching and NAC

This is a typical appearance of the areola and scar fresh post-op. With some time things should and will settle down and flatten out. The "tear drop" shape at the inferior aspect of the nipple can happen depending on how your surgeon sewed in the nipple/areola. Things should get better with time, continue to f/u with your surgeon. 

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz