How long after surgery should I wait to start kickboxing again?

I have a few more prerequisite questions about a breast lift. 1. I do kickboxing. It is a high impact activity. How long after surgery should I wait to start again? 2. I am very worried about being able to breast feed when I am older. Are different methods better for trying to cuase less damage? Thank you!

You should be able to resume kickboxing about 6 weeks after your breast lift.

Kickboxing is a strenuous, high impact activity. Your plastic surgeon should give you a timeline for recovery that includes when you can begin resuming exercise. In general, you can expect to take it easy for the first 2 weeks after your breast lift, and then slowly ease back into low impact activities. Within about 4 weeks, you should be able to begin ramping up your activity level to include more cardiovascular exercise. By 6 weeks, you should be able to resume kickboxing. As far as breastfeeding goes, not all women are able to breastfeed, and that has nothing to do with whether or not they’ve had a breast lift. By minimizing the amount of ductal tissue that’s removed during your lift, your plastic surgeon can help avoid impacting your ability to breastfeed.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

#breastlift #plasticsurgery #mastopexy

Hello 2kittygirls,  Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  I typically advise all my surgical patients to avoid exercise & strenuous activity for 6 weeks post-op.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Definitely ease into those workouts....

Typically, I have my patients take it really easy for the first two weeks and then start adding in cardio first and then resistance training.  By four weeks, you can do CrossFit or kickboxing or really anything.  To address your second question, studies have actually shown that there is no statistical difference in the ability for a woman undergoing a lift or reduction to successfully breast feed compared to the general population of patients who have not had surgery.  Contrary to some rumors, your nipple is NOT taken off and then "put back on".  I hear that all the time and it's a huge relief once patients are educated on the surgery and the facts.  Hope this helps and I wish you all the best!  Make sure you find a plastic surgeon that you trust and who can deliver a gorgeous result!!

-JGH

Kickboxing and breast feeding after a breast lift

These are excellent and commonly asked questions. Any type of intense physical activity should be delayed for at least 2-3 weeks. If implants are being placed under the muscle at the same time, then it may be at least 4-6 weeks before resuming upper body activity. Aerobic activity or weights where both of which involve your core and/or legs can be started at about 3 weeks. Breast feeding will be unpredictable, again depending on the procedure performed. If the breast tissue is disrupted, one may or may not be able to breast feed. If breast feeding is very impertant to you, then you may want to delay your surgery until after you have had all the pregnancies you desire. Every surgeon has a different routine, so be sure to check with them. 

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift questions

For question 1, it would be best to wait about 6 weeks, since there is contact to the chest.  You could start working out aerobically after about 3 weeks however.  For question 2, you should be able to breast feed your children without any difficulty after the breast lift, since the ducts are not cut during the procedure.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

These are very good questions, best addressed to your plastic surgeon, who knowing exactly what is planned, will be able to provide you with specific guidelines and more helpful predictions.

Generally speaking, timing to  return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. I would suggest that you gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that you are doing well and there have been no complications. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  and contact sports for at least 3 months.  Best wishes.