Am I a candidate for alarplasty? (Photo)

I hate the way my nostrils look. I wold like to avoid a full nose job if possible. Do you think I can achieve good results with alasplasty alone and maybe a filler to build up the bridge of my nose? Thanks!

Alarplasty for nostril rim reduction

Based upon the pictures you provided, yo do have flaring of your ala which would improve with reducing the size and width of your nostrils. However, it appears that you also have a hanging columella and some wideness to the tip region that would require some reduction of the size of your tip as well as some upward displacement. Good luck in your area.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty for nostril rim reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from an alar base reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

Based on your photos-in the right hands-- a complete Rhinoplasty through a closed technique-- will help you achieve your goals. It will address all elements of the nose. Be sure to seek an experienced Board Certified PS with extensive experience in Rhinoplasty 

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

Am I a Candidate for Alarplasty

Based on these pictures it appears that your nose ca be improved with narrowing of the nasal base, elevation of your hanging columella and tip refinement. I would not recommend fillers to your bridge which will make your nose larger, not more feminine and proportional to your surrounding facial features. 

Am I a Candidate for Alarplasty

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

If your nose is a distraction to you when you look in the mirror, or when you see yourself in photos and you find that it's a source of concern for you, then you have realistic motivations for rhinoplasty.

You are inquiring about both surgical and nonsurgical options for nose reshaping.  If the width of your nose is the distraction, then yes, you may be a candidate for alarplasty.  Fillers can be used to camouflage the small depression at the bridge. Both of these procedures can be performed in the office, under local anesthesia if you so desire.

Do yourself a favor and schedule a consultation with a Board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or a general Plastic Surgeon (who is experienced with rhinoplasty). 

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD,  Double Board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Sarasota, Florida    

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

Sorry but the posted photos are not acceptable. Seek only in person opinions and I think you would still need a surgical full rhinoplasty with alar wedges... 

Am I a candidate for alarplasty?

Alarplasty

and alar base resection.

In looking at the pictures supplied, I see three characteristics of the depicted nose that can be favorable changed with small procedures on the alar base.  The nasal base depicted appears to be wide, to have excessive flair and is asymmetric.  These characteristics can frequently be improved using well accepted alar base procedures.  These can many times be performed in the office under local anesthesia.  I would also recommend you seek consultation with a qualified surgeon who can do computer imaging for you so you can see a simulation of the proposed results.

Be well and best regards,

Fred G. Fedok, MD FACS

Alarplasty

and alar base resection.

Be well and best regards,

Fred G. Fedok, MD FACS

Alar Base Reduction Candidate

Although I do believe that you are a candidate for alar base reduction, this may not create the perfect aesthetic balance that you would be able to achieve with a rhinoplasty.  Seek out a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty and he/she will accurately examine your nose, create a 3D simulation and tailor a plan to your individual needs.

Alar Base Reduction Candidate

Alar base surgery options.

I do believe an alar base reduction can improve the excess width of your nose. Fillers are temporary but easy to do as long as caution is exercised to inject in the proper plane, and with meticulous technique.

Alar base surgery options.

Alar Base Reduction Considerations

Thanks for your post. You may be a candidate to consider an alar base reduction to improve the shape and size of your nostrils. Typically this can be done electively on an outpatient basis, often with local anesthesia or MAC, not general anesthesia. Fillers will not provide any lasting meanful improvement for you. If you wish to consider other enhancements to your nose beside alarplasty, I would recommend you consider rhinoplasty over fillers. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction Considerations

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon