One breast is lower than the other after breast augmentation

I had breast augmentation done approximately 8 years ago. One breast is now lower than the other. Should I consult a surgeon about a breast lift for one or both breasts to correct this in the future?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, it is normal that you can have one bigger than the other, provide photos for better answer, I recommend you ti consult a board certified plastic surgeon that can help get the appearance that you wish.

There are many reasons for asymmetry in breast position. Common ones include capsular contracture, implant malposition, and ptosis of the breasts. The recommended treatment would depend on the diagnosis. Your options can be explained during a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast revision surgery. 

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Changes in your breasts after many years post augmentation

Hi and thanks for posting your question. It's difficult to ascertain what is going on without photos or an examination. It would likely be wise of you to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination of your breast implants. Some of the more common issues women encounter many years out from their initial operation are capsular contracture as well as recurrent breast drooping (or "ptosis") after their augmentation has been done. Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you understand what the cause is and how to go about potentially fixing the problem.

Best wishes

Rachel Streu, MD

Progressive breast asymmetry following augmentation

is not unusual 8 years  down the road.  Schedule a consultation with your surgeon or other local boarded plastic surgeons and find out what would be best for you.  This depends on what side you like better and if you are wanting to be perkier or now.  It also depends on whether your folds are level or not and what kind of pockets you have at this point.  Your surgeon should be able to go over all the viable options for you from which you can choose from.  Don't be surprised if your surgeon suggests you get new implants too.

Curtis Wong, MD

Uneven

This can happen certainly long term after breast augmentation.  It would be best to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a proper examination so you can receive your options moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

One Breast Lower Years After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

• Without any photos to look at, it's not possible to say exactly what's going on in your case. 
  • However, if one breast is lower than the other, you may have experienced some "bottoming out" of one of your implants. 
  • This can be corrected with a revisionary breast surgery.
  • Definitely schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated. 

It is Impossible to tell if you need a Breast Lift without any pictures provided.

If One of the breast is lower then the other that means the implant pocket needs to be corrected.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Lift and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Consider posting photos for us to better answer your question.  If one implant is lower, the implant pocket needs to be corrected. If the breast tissue itself is falling off the implant, then you are correct - you need a breast lift.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person evaluation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast augmentation - one breast lower than the other?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• It's hard to tell you for sure without a photo
  • But if one implant is lower, the implant pocket needs to be corrected.
  • If the breast tissue itself is falling off the implant, then you are correct - you need a breast lift.
  • It makes sense to consult a plastic surgeon now - to see what should be done and when.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lift vs repositioning of the implant

Thanks for the great question. Many women have some asymmetries in their breasts after augmentation. Most of they asymmetries are due to either an issue with the breast tissue or an issue with the implant. As you age the breast tissue may sag some over the top of the implant which can be corrected with a breast lift. 

There may also be issues with the implants themselves. One of the implants may have become malpositioned  by sliding down further on the chest wall or the implant can raise up from a capsular contracture. 

Make sure to see a surgeon who is able to work with you to identify the problem whether it is a problem with the breast tissue or the implant or both. 

I'm located in Marin and would love to meet you in person to see how I'm able to help. Please call my office at 415-915-9000 to make an appointment. Best of luck and I look forward to meeting you soon!

~Dr. Sieber