Breasts not dropping (5 weeks post op). (photos)

Hello! I had my breast augmentation 5 weeks ago. Since then, my breasts have become very soft. I've been doing my daily instructed displacements as well as taking vitamin e as prescribed by my surgeon. Even though my breasts have become much softer, it seems as if they have not "dropped" at all. I'm a little worried as most women online seem to have noticed improvements by now. Will my breasts drop? If so, how long could it take? Thanks :) The photo is of me a few days post op and me at 5 weeks post op.

Give it more time

Thanks for the great question and the photos. I agree that you are still very early post op. Having the implants drop can take up to 3 months, so hang in there. Another factor determining how far the implants will drop is the type of implant used. If you have textured implants they will likely not drop as far as smooth ones. Hang in there. I always tell patients that it takes about 3-6 months before their breasts will be near their final position. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Bay Area General Surgeon

Normal healing process

You are still early in the healing process after breast augmentation. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. It can take 4-6 months before the implants look and feel like they belong to you. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

The change is immediate.  should expect the skin to soften and the implant to settle at about three months after surgery.      breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used. 

Best of Luck!!

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Pos

Thank you for sharing your question and your photos. I agree with you, you're still quite early in the healing process. I typically ask patients to allow 3-6 months for swelling to calm down and for implants to settle. Your surgeon may also recommend wearing a bandeau to put some pressure on the upper pole of the breast/muscle to speed things up. Best of luck to you.

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The breasts may swell asymmetrically.  Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Implant position is a personal choice

and many of my patients would be very happy with the convex upper pole you have... more importantly is your appearances from the front.  Regardless, if you want flatter upper poles. you should be asking your surgeon about maneuvers beyond massage (like strap) to help you achieve your goals.  Changes, if smooth round implants were used, can still be done but the window of opportunity to effect such changes is closing.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breasts not dropping

No worries they will. It takes a minimum of 3 months for most people for the skin and muscle to stretch. Keep doing what you are doing. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Recovery time

It can take some time for your implants to settle in the right place. This can takes months to truly happen. At just 5 weeks, you are very early in your recovery.  Drink plenty of fluids, decrease your salt intake, and follow instructions and restrictions given to you by your plastic surgeon and this should help you.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Drop and Fluff

You need to be patient. However, one thing is for certain: implant displacement therapy and vitamin E are proven to be ineffective in prevention or treatment of capsular contracture, and are unnecessary for normal implant healing (drop and fluff). Worse, high doses of vitamin E are potentially harmful, and telling a woman to perform implant massage puts the onus of your outcome into your hands, which is not the case at all.  You should stop both the E and the massage. You will drop with no help at all, except the passage of time. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS