Working out lower body: 2 weeks post-op breast augmentation.

I'm 13 days post-op from a breast augmentation, everything looks and is going great. I would love to know when can I start working out on my lower body... and when can I sleep on my side.

Working out and sleep position after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your augmentation.  I am happy to hear that your recovery is going well and smoothly thus far and I would encourage you to speak directly with your operating surgeon to discuss their specific post-operative protocols with regards to exercise and sleep position.  Each surgeon has their own specific philosophy when it comes to post-operative care and recovery and what you may find is that one surgeon, such as myself, would say to wait until you are at least 4 weeks post-op to resume any exercising and/or heavy lifting and another surgeon may tell you something slightly different.  As such, I always find it important that patients defer to their operating surgeon who is most familiar with your specific case.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Working out.

Moderate exercise is okay after 4 weeks - practice good judgement and common sense. Sleeping on your side and belly will absolutely impact the ultimate placement of your implant. I have done several studies detailing this result. Staying on your back for sleep also benefits your face from premature aging. Good luck - I'm sure you will love your new look.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Working Out and Side Sleeping

Hi there! We typically recommend that our breast augmentation patients wait 4 weeks after surgery to resume exercising. Usually by week 3, patients can start very light exercises as they make the transition to week 4. Also, we tell our patients they can sleep on their side if it is comfortable after 4 weeks, preferably wearing a bra. Please check with your doctor as post-op instructions can vary greatly among plastic surgeons. 

John S. Lee, MD

Postop recovery

Thanks for your question. You should ask your PS as every PS has different regimes postop. I have no issues with patients exercising their lower body at this stage in a support bra and also have no issues with sleeping on your side in a support bra. Again every PS is different.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Post op breast aug

Thanks for the question.

Safest answer is to ask your surgeon.

I allow my breast augmentation clients to work out after 4 weeks.  They may sleep in any position they feel comfortable in as long as the bra is worn 24/7.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Workout after Breast Augmentation

I appreciate your desire to get back to the gym, but be careful. I recommend no heavy lifting or aerobics for at least 4 weeks after surgery, then begin again slowly. The concern primarily is postop bleeding, which can harm your final result. Check with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Exercise after augmentation

Thank you for your question.   Always best to check with your surgeon directly, as different surgeons will have different protocols.  In my office, I would advise you to avoid cardio for 3-4 weeks, heavy lifting >15lbs for 6 weeks, and chest muscle activity for 2 months.  I tell my patients to wear a underwire sports bra 24/7 for 2 months and no sleeping on the side or tummy for 2 months.  This is to allow the scar capsule to form without displacing the implants.   Best wishes.  

Breast augmentation and exercise

I prefer that patients wait about 3-4 weeks to start light aerobic activity and 6-8 weeks to start vigorous work outs. I usually allow patients to sleep on their sides when they are comfortable.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Breast augmentation

It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different post-operative protocol. 
I don’t recommend my patients engaging in any activities that include weight bearing or resistance before 6 weeks. Lower body exercises can be resumed around 4 weeks post op but just remember to ease back into your regular fitness routine as it may take some time getting back to your prior strength. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

When can I get back to working out?

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have their preferences, but for my patients  I am OK with them returning to light aerobic activity after three weeks. I recommend no heavy lifting, or any activity that involves the pectoralis muscle, such as benchpress, planks etc. for at least six weeks after breast surgery.  As far as sleeping is concerned, I recommend on your back for the first week, side to side is fine the second week, anyway you please after the third week.  Hope this helps. Good luck! 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon