4 weeks post-op, when can I sleep without a sports bra after having Breast Augmentation?

I am 4week post op and I have read that it's better to wear a bra as much as possible, but for me sleeping in one isn't ideal every night, sometimes I just need a break from the bra at night!

Sports bra

This depends very much on your plastic surgeon’s preference.  I advise my patients to avoid an underwire bra which may put pressure on their incision and apart from that you can usually return to your preferred bra at about six weeks.

Post-surgical bra

In my practice I tell all of my patients to wear their post-surgery bra for 6 weeks following surgery, day and night. Some surgeons may have different guidelines for their recovery process so I recommend you consult with your surgeon about it. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Sleeping without bras after augmentation

is usually well tolerated after 3 weeks, avoiding sleeping on your tummy.  But you should ask your surgeon for his/her recommendations since he/she will be the one dealing with any implant malposition.  But in my 24 year experience, I never restricted patients from sleeping any way they wanted to and have never appreciated a problem because of this.  But once patients feel they are perfect, they are asked to wear support except for showers, especially if very early in their recovery.

Curtis Wong, MD

Bras after breast aug surgery

To date there is no hard and fast rule for bra usage after breast augmentation. Each and every plastic surgeon will have a different take on bra usage after this procedure. I typically tell my patients to wear a sports bra as much as they can tolerate it for the first few weeks and then during the day in a straightforward case. Some patients require greater support after breast procedures. The best advice I have to give is discuss this with your surgeon and to follow their recommendations because they know your case better than anyone.

Rachel Streu, MD

No Consensus on Bras

There is no science regarding this and many other issues in plastic surgery. If you have round and smooth implants, it is likely better to wear a supportive bra, with the inframammary region being the most important area of support, for upwards of three months. This is based on our understanding of scar tissue strength, but nearly no one, including myself, makes our patients wear a bra 24/7 for 3 months.  For night time, avoiding sleeping on your belly is probably more important than whether you wear a bra or not. Have this discussion with your doctor. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Sports Bra

Hi, I do not have my patients wear a sports bra at night. I want them to allow the breast to drop.  I would follow up and check with your surgeon.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wearing garments after breast augmentation

Every surgeon has their own preferred post-operative protocol around garments.  Some advocate for wearing a bra, some prefer a post-surgical fitted garment, some like sports bras, and some suggest wearing nothing at all.  There is very little evidence for any of these strategies, but usually your surgeon has a protocol that has worked in his/her hands and helps to achieve his/her best results.  Typically I ask my patients to wear some comfortable, supportive garment of their choice 24/7 for 6 weeks except for showers.  I have found that this usually makes people feel more comfortable, more supported, and leads to my best results.  I have, however, made exceptions for patients who simply can't tolerate the garments.  Touch base with your surgeon.  That's the best way to communicate your discomfort and get a personalized evaluation about whether wearing the garment is still essential at night.  Good luck!

Sports bra after breast augmentation

We all have slightly different postop regimens we ask our patient to follow and therefore I would recommend you contact your surgeons office directly to ask his/her protocol. In my practice, I typically ask patients to stay in their bra 23 1/2 -7, removing only to shower for the first week. After that it is solely for their comfort, not to shape or mold the breast, so  they can wear whatever bra they find gives enough support to make them comfortable. If they are comfortable out of a bra either during the day or night, it is fine with me for them to go without.

Paul Buhrer, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping with a sports bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation recovery.

• After two weeks, I let patients decide based on their comfort whether or not to sleep in a bra.
  • It is always wise to check with your surgeon to be sure this is ok

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

When can I sleep without a sports bra

Thanks for your question. You should follow your surgeon's post op protocol, we all have our own. In my practice, my patients are instructed to be in their bra for six weeks, this includes sleeping. If your bra is super tight you may consider finding a looser one. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD