How important is it to be at a weight prior to a facelift? Lost 20 lbs. Should I work on the additional 30 lbs first? (Photo)

Further Weight Loss Prior to Facelift?

In the ideal world you should be as close to your goal weight as possible. Each patient is different in how their face responds to weight overall weight changes. For some patients as little as ten to twenty pounds weight change can make a noticeable difference in the volume of their facial fat which can influence their appearance. 

If you truly realistically think that you will be losing another 30 lbs, then you should achieve the additional weight loss prior to your facelift surgery. Typically any weight loss less than ten pounds or so will not make a noticeable difference. 

Weight loss and facelift

you appear to be an excellent candidate for a facelift.  Many patients are concerned that if they have a facelift and lose more weight, they will need the facelift redone.  I have never seen that become an issue.  There would be no problem having a facelift done at this point.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Facelift and 20 pound weight loss

Hello Kendra,Congratulations on the weight loss!  20 pounds is significant.  Some of the questions I ask my patients are - how long did it take you to lose 20 pounds?  Are you still losing the weight at a consistent rate?  What diet and exercise regimen are you on?  How realistic is your 50 pound weight loss goal?  If you are still losing the weight at a consistent rate through your diet and exercise regimen, my typical advice is to wait on surgery until you have maxed out on the weight loss.  The goal is also that you can easily maintain this weight loss after surgery.  If you have starved yourself into losing the weight, in my opinion, your weight loss may not be easily maintained.  Thus, I would say do the surgery sooner than later.  I hope this makes sense.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss best before facelift surgery.

Weight loss best before facelift surgery. Otherwise you could have excess skin if you lost it after the facelift.

Weight loss before surgery

If you have well defined plans to lose weight then it is best to lose it first.  Thirty pounds is a significant amount of weight.  The concern obviously is that with a large amount of weight loss after the facelift you could need additional work to revolumize the face(which can be done during the facelift if you go ahead and lose the weight), or that you would have skin redundant laxity of the face with the volume loss(like deflating a balloon).  If you are willing to accept these potential risk then you could proceed. It is best ofcourse to be evaluated in person and have these discussions face to face so that the surgeon can evaluate you.  Best of luck and congratulation on your weight loss achievement.

Facelift and weight loss

Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on losing 20 lbs and wanting to lose another 30.  50 lbs total is a significant amount of weight to lose.  You could lose half of the 30 lbs now and the other half later and would be ok. Losing weight is great for your health but a large amount may deflate your results after lifting. From the photo you should have a nice result. Best of luck on achieving your goals and your future lift!

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Get to Your Goal Weight First

Yes, I would urge you to be very close to your goal weight before undergoing a facelift. If you are actively continuing to lose weight, you'll want to reach a point of equilibrium before pursuing surgery. I say "equilibrium" because you want to be at a weight you can easily maintain. The main reason: It's difficult to predict how the face responds to weight loss or gain. For some patients, the face remains essentially unchanged; for others, there are significant volume fluctuations in the face. This can make the results less predictable. Once you are at a comfortable weight that you can maintain, your surgeon will be able to give you a better idea of your expected outcome. Best of luck to you.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Ideally, Lose the Weight First

The best scenario is that you are at your “best weight” prior to the facelift. Losing weight afterwards might lead to more excess skin. If you are considering fat transfer at the same time as the lift and you lose weight afterwards, you might still need more fat to give you full midface replenishment.

Weight Loss & Facelift

Dear Sunny Shine,

It is always best to be as close as possible to a maintainable weight prior to getting any kind of surgery. In general, I like my facelift patients to be within 10 pounds of their goal weight. Otherwise, any future weight gain or loss could adversely affect your results. Hope this helps.

Kindly, 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss or Gain Before a Facelift and/or Fat Transfer to The Face

This is a common question.  I suggest patients be within 15 pounds of their anticipated long-term weight prior to having the facelift.  The exact affects of weight gain or loss on any one individual are virtually impossible to predict however.  The more over-weight you are to start with, the less change you are likely to see in your face with a 15 pound loss.  For example, going from 200 pounds to 185 pounds will likely be much less obvious than going from 120 pounds to 105 pounds.  How fat distributes with weight change is individual.  If you have gained/lost weight in the past, you can use your own history to predict how it will affect your face in the future.

If your facelift is to include fat transfer you should plan on being very close to your long-term weight and it would be extremely important that you do not gain weight after the procedure.  Should you have a successful fat transfer, weight gain anytime later in life has resulted in some individuals filling out in a very unnatural, even bizarre fashion.

Dr. A

Austin, Texas 

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon