How long do I need to wait after facelift to get skin treatments like peels, microdermabrasion etc.?

Hold Off for 4 Weeks

I would wait 4 weeks prior to any superficial peels or laser treatments. If you are planning on a deeper peel or laser, CO2 for example, I would wait at least 6 weeks for your skin to heal completely. Causing a deeper burn on skin that was recently elevated during your facelift could compromise the blood supply and lead to skin loss. Also, scarring in this recently operated skin could become an issue, as well.  

Skin treatments post facelift

In general, I would say wait 2-4 weeks depending on the procedure. My advise would be to discuss this with your surgeon since he or she is intimate with your case and your healing process. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post-facelift skin treatments

Dear ducktape:

You pose an excellent question, and my general answer is that some minimally-invasive treatments, and even some light-based and laser treatents can be done in the 2nd week following a facelift, but that anything that applies pressure or traction, needs to wait a few weeks, so that there is no risk of causing bleeding, or of disrupting the attachments of the facial/ neck skin to the new, elevated position. In the final analysis, you must check with your surgeon before guessing what will be allowed when--protect your investment wisely!. Good luck!

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hi ~ Great Question. You should wait 4 weeks after your facelift before trying any other skin treatments. Superficial chemical peels would be the safest treatments to have. Deep chemical peels should be delayed for 2-3 months after your procedure. It is very important ask your surgeon about this and make sure you are not having an aggressive skin resurfacing too close to your facelift.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Usually between 2 and 4 weeks before any superficial treatments. The more minor procedures can be done at the same time as the lift in many cases.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Although the procedures you mentioned can be safely performed 4 weeks after a facelift there are other procedures (lasers, micro-needling, etc) that are best delayed until there has been more solid healing.  A lot also depends on the type of facelift that was performed.  Always check with your surgeon before making a decision to undergo any of these treatments within the first 6-12 weeks after surgery.

Nonsurgical treatments following a Facelift

Depending on what kind of facelift you had and the aggressiveness of the facial treatment you are seeking, I would advise waiting 2-4 weeks. For a more accurate recommendation for you specifically, you should contact a qualified Plastic Surgeon.

Edmund Ek, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - how soon to get skin treatments like peels?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.'
  • Most surgeons will want you to wait four weeks at least after surgery.
  • Ask your surgeon what s/he feels is the right time for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Resurfacing after facelift

I generally advise waiting 4-6 weeks following facelift surgery to perform resurfacing procedures. Superficial procedures like microdermabrasion can probably be performed earlier, but this is a question that should be directed to your surgeon. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin care treatments after a face lift

Congrats  on your facelift surgery . I usually recommend a periods of three to six weeks of early healing before you resume skin care services . You can,however, begin postop camouflage makeup as early as 10 days postop.

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon