Do Arnica and Bromelain REALLY help with swelling or is it just hogwash?
Doctor Answers 23
Face lifts - do arnica and bromelain really help?
- This is such an interesting question
- We don't have the final answer because no large studies have been done.
- I have not seen these supplements reduce swelling.
- Small studies suggest that they can reduce bruising making blood clot a little faster.
- Many people however see no effects.
- And the people who find it useful often aren't people who bruise a lot anyhow.
- I let my patients decide - I don't recommend them but I carry arnica for those who want it and recommend fresh pineapple to those who want bromlein. .
- Swelling after a face lift happens no matter what. I have seen a little battery-run facial massager dramatically reduce swelling in one patient 3 weeks after surgery. That is worth trying, with your surgeon's approval.
Arnica and Bromelain
Arnica and Bromelain
Hello Nwmouse! - I have my patients take Arnica and Bromelain prior to surgery to help with bruising and swelling. I do believe that it helps. Arnica can be started the day before surgery or right after surgery. The bromelain can be started 2-3 days before surgery. Best of luck!
You might also like...
Does Arnica really help for swelling and bruising?
Anecdotally, I have always strongly recommended Arnica and Bromolaine for Facelift and smartlipo procedures.
Anecdotally, I have always strongly recommended Arnica and Bromolaine for Facelift and smartlipo procedures, and those that use it faithfully starting the day after procedure and for 2 weeks thereafter seem to have less bruising and swelling. That being said, I am very thorough with instructions of which supplements to discontinue along with the basics such as no aspirin, NSAIDs etc, good icing, adequate compression.
Arnica, Bromelain, and more
Its a great question. To my knowledge, there has never been a definitive study proving that either Arnica or Bromelain improve healing time. However, Arnica has been well known for several years, as is Bromelain, an extract from pineapples, which have been used extensively in the Hawaiin community. I recommend using these, in addition to blueberry which are high in antioxidants, and papaya, which has an enzyme that may help swelling subside sooner. Why not? There is no harm, reported adverse effects, and if they help you heal a few days quicker, that can go a long way in helping someone return to work/activity sooner.Hope this helps, best of luck!
Arnica & Bromelain benefits
I find both can be helpful with bruising more than swelling. It's really a personal choice but neither are expensive and if they help even a little bit, why not?
Does Arnica Work
Hi ~ Great question. There are so many supplements out there it can be hard to know which ones actually work! At our practice we do recommend Arnica Montana prior to many procedures. I feel it does help with bruising less so with swelling. It is also important to stop other supplements and medications that can increase your risk for bleeding. Good Luck!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.