Are Natrelle Inspira and Mentor Memory Gel Both Gummy Bear Silicone?

What's the difference between the Mentor Memory Gel from the Allergan Natrelle Silicone Gel Breast Implant? Are they both like the Gummy Bear silicone? The one that even if you cut in half will still go back to its form. Memory gel sounds catchy. but is it same as the Natrelle Allergan because that's what I have now. How many years does the Allergan Natrelle Silicone Gel Breast Implant have till a possible revision?

The Gummy Bear Breast Implant Is Not Yet Available For Breast Augmentation use

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both the Allergan Natrelle and Mentor's Memory Gel are what are known as second generation silicone gel breast implants. They are often confused with, and some plastic surgeons even market them, as being the gummy bear implant which they are not. Gummy bear breast implants are third generation silicone gel materials, which are more solid (highly cohesive), but are not yet available for patient use. While the manufacturers do market the Natrelle and Memory Gel implants as having an advantage over each other, neither one is proven to be a superior silicone breast implant. The longevity of any silicone implant is patient dependent and no one can predict how long they will last. Failure of a silicone implant is when the shell (containment bag) ruptures, that is when one should have them replaced.

Inspira vs Memory Gel

This is a topic that is often confusing for patients.  Both the Inspira and Memory Gel implants are considered second generation implants (not gummy bear).  The Inspira is filled with the same gel as the regular Natrelle implants, except that the fill ratio is higher meaning that they have a "fuller" appearance.  These implants are different than the Allergan 410 implant, which is a 3rd generation implant with highly cohesive gel.  This is the "gummy bear" implant that many people refer to.  The 410 implant now comes in two different shapes, anatomic or round.  The silicone on these 410 implants will literally stay in its form even if the implant is cut in half.  My personal opining is that there is no reason to replace an implant if it is not ruptured and there is no capsular contracture.  I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience working with a variety of implants to see what you may be a candidate for.  Best of luck!

Both are cohesive silicone

Both brands are made of cohesive silicone gel. This gummy bear type of silicone stays intact if ruptured. 

Silicone implants aren't lifetime devices but they don't have a defined lifespan either. Some think its ten years but this is not true. It lasts as long as you don't have a problem with them!

Natrelle and Memory Gel are not gummy bears

Both the Natrelle and the Memory Gel (the name is rather nice) are not highly cohesive breast implants known as gummy bear. Both implants perform very well, and are soft and blend well with the breast tissue. All implants will leak, including the gummy bear though with the latter the gel will not get beyond the capsule. The jury is still out on the advantage of a form stable cohesive implant for breast augmentation. Your Natrelle implant should last ten years plus.

peterejohnsonmd

Gummy implants

The cohesive gel or gummy implants are not yet available to the general market.  They are not the same as the natrelle or memory gel implants.

Cohesive Gel Implants

Gummy bear implants are highly cohesive gel implants. Not all gel implants are highly cohesive. However, since your question both Natrelle and Mentor have introduced highly cohesive implants. Patient selection is key. For example, the representative for Natrelle describes the ideal cosmetic patient for their cohesive gel implant (the 410) as a very slender lady who does not want to have considerable projection. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options, and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best fits your needs/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

The two companies Mentor and Allergan both make a great product.  They have similar life time warranty and will stand by their products.  I prefer the Mentor Memory Gel implants for my patients.  The overall look is more natural and my patients all tell me they like the "natural look" in their breasts.  The Mentor breast implants are manufactured in the United States, another plus. 

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants

Gummy bear implants are not yet available to all surgeons. There are a few surgeons that offer these implants under an investigation protocol. I would recommend either Natrelle or Mentor regular gell implants which are FDA approved. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

"Gummy Bear" should not be equated with all silicone gel implants!

This is a common area of confusion for patients researching their options for breast augmentation surgery. It does not help that even some Plastic Surgeon websites perpetuate the confusion. Both Mentor and Allergan offer a family of silicone gel breast implant devices with different features. Cohesive silicone gel implants are available from both companies but only a few should be described as having a  "gummy bear" consistency.

Most of us are familiar with the look and feel of Gummy Bear candies. These popular treats have a firm feel, maintain their shape and would seldom be described as soft or  "gooey". The equal in the silicone gel breast  implant world are those implants  that are "form-stable" and are referred by Plastic Surgeons to be  third generation silicone gel implants. Allergan's family of implants includes the anatomically shaped Natrelle 410 and a round  form-stable Inspira silicone gel implant. Mentor has a shaped form-stable implant known as the CPG.   In Canada, we have had most of  these form-stable, highly cohesive silicone gel and third generation  implants available for breast augmentation surgery since 2002.

The Mentor "Memory Gel" and Allergan "Natrelle" round implants available in North America are considered second generation silicone gel implants. The gel filler used  is more cohesive than older first generation implants which has lowered the rupture rates and reduced the risk of silicone gel leaching outside of the capsule of scar tissue that forms around all implants. These implants have become very popular compared to saline filled implants and have an excellent satisfaction rate. 

Long term studies show that third generation or  form-stable implants (Gummy Bears) have an overall reduced incidence of revisional surgery compared to less cohesive gel filled second generation implants. Unfortunately for patients in the United States, the FDA as not yet approved these third generation implants for elective breast augmentation. They are however approved for reconstructive breast surgery. 

Having more choices as a Plastic Surgeon in Canada, has improved my ability to select implants that match the unique  features and goals of my patients. Until these additional choices are available in the US, we should use all try to use  the term "gummy bear" only with form-stable silicone gel  breast implants and the original chewy and tasty candy!

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Differences between Allergan and Mentor silicone implants and "gummy bear" implants

Both the Mentor Memory Gel and the Allergan Natrelle silicone breast implants are cohesive silicone implants but are not the true "gummy bear" implants which are not available in America as they have not been approved by the FDA (Federal Drug Administration). The cohesive gel implant advantage over previous generation implants is that the gel is thick and taffy-like which minimizes even the microscopic migration of silicone particles elsewhere.

There are proprietary differences in the silicone, envelope and manufacture between the Allergan and the Mentor implants which can translate into differences in durability and result. Even with a given implant, there is a great range of expected durability.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD