What is the best thing to do for stitches to heal properly after rhinoplasty? Should I keep them covered?

I'm 5 days post-op and I'm not sure if I should keep putting the gauze over my stitches. I still have some bleeding going on and now the stitches feel sensitive. It hurts when I clean around with a q-tip. Is there anything I can do to help the stitches heal faster? Should I stop using the gauze to cover the stitches? Thank you.

Incision care after a rhinoplasty

Hi and thanks for the question. I have my patients apply antibiotic ointment to the scar line twice daily. I also have them gently cleanse the scar line daily with hydrogen peroxide and Q-tips. This, with a tincture of time produces excellent scars in a majority of the cases. Confer with your surgeon to discuss his/her particular management plan.

Dr. Vallecillos 

What is the best thing to do for stitches to heal properly after rhinoplasty?

Each surgeon will have their own specific instructions for wound/incision care after rhinoplasty. Please call your doctor's office and discuss it with them.

I use antibiotic ointments for general care, placed 2x a day with a clean cotton tipped applicator. If crusting develops I suggest hydrogen peroxide on a small cotton tipped applicator. The dried blood will bubble off. I do use a drip pad if you are draining from the nose, if not, I do not recommend a gauze as it will stick to your sutures.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and taking care of your stitches

Recovering from rhinoplasty is healing process. Part of that process is wound care the first week after surgery. 

I like to have my patients remove the nasal drip pad/mustache dressing after a day. The incision and stitches should be covered in ointment to keep it from drying out. This helps it heal and makes stitch removal easier. That being said each surgeon has their own set of instructions to follow after surgery. I recommend following the instructions your received and keeping your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can keep you on track for a safe and healthy outcomes. Safety comes first

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

definitely check with your surgeon regarding their preference. Typically you apply Vaseline until stitches come out. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wound care after rhinoplasty

This is a very common question among patients who have had rhinoplasty surgery.  As you mention, you are very early in the healing phase from your surgery.  For patients of mine who undergo rhinoplasty surgery the surgical wounds are cleaned 3 times a day with half water and half peroxide followed by the application of a topical ointment.  The topical is to be in place until sutures are removed.  Each physician has his or her own particulars in treatment of surgical wounds and I would recommend that you follow up with your primary surgeon to review your concerns.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is really nothing you can do to help the sutured area heal faster.  I would not recommend covering the stitches unless you have some bleeding.  Follow up with your surgeon for his recommendations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD