Possible to shave down a bump on one side of nose without osteotomies?

I developed a bump on one side of my nose from a nasal fracture. It isn't particularly hump like, but it is very noticeable from the 3/4 view when I turn my head left. From right 3/4, profile, and front views, the bump is nearly invisible. Is it possible to shave the bump without osteotomies? Would this make my bridge more narrow? From the straight view, my nose has a natural hourglass shape, with some bowing on both the left and right sides of the bridge. Would this make the bridge uneven?

Nasal bump

It is hard from your description to tell exactly but sometime the bump can be improved just by "sanding", or rasping it down.

Rhinoplasty candidate for dorsal hump removal

When shaving down the dorsal hump, it doesn't take much to create an open roof deformity, therefore  Osteotomyies are usually required in the nasal bones to straighten  and narrow them, and close the open roof created from the hump removal. A full set of photographs required to make a determination along with an in-person examination. The hourglass issue also be addressed with osteotomies in addition to spreader grafts placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilages.

Nasal bump removal

Most of the time, taking down a small bony nasal "bump" can be done with only a rasp, and osteotomies can be avoided.  Osteotomies are usually performed if the "bump removal" leaves the patient with a wide/flat dorsum.  

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bump

A small bump can be reduced with rasping instead of osteotomies. It is a smaller procedure than osteotomies and can be done under local anesthesia. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on side of nose

Shaving down a small sidewall bump probably would not need an osteotomy.  If the bump is large and involves the dorm, it may make the nose appear flat.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. It is possible to reduce a small dorsal hump without osteotomies in the right patient.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

It is difficult to provide any definite guidance, in your case, without photography but, in general, it is possible to correct a slight hump as long as it is small and does not represent a true excess of cartilage of bone at the level of the rhinion (mid-bridge). Often, the type of hump that you are describing is due to splaying of the nasal bones, and simple rasping of this can correct the slight apparent hump without the need for osteotomies, and this may make the bridge slightly thinner. However, if there is true excess of cartilage and bone, then this must be removed, and this often requires performing bone cuts (lateral osteotomies). In this later case, the bridge may actually appear slightly broader because the bridge is not as projected. If the hump is more prominent on one side than the other, the surgeon should make asymmetric cuts/hump reductions to ensure that the end result is asymmetric. Hope this helps, best of luck!

Danny Soares, MD
Clermont Facial Plastic Surgeon