I feel some small air bubbles traveling right underneath my skin where I had my tummy Tuck. Is this normal?

2 weeks post op, Tummy tuck air bubbles after doing some kind of strain like laughing for example which it did hurt.Thank u kindly 4 your answers. One Doctor wondered why I don't ask my Doctor certain questions...well...I feel I shouldn't do this but...here it goes...the reason I'm not asking my Doctor is because he always seems 2 in a hurry 2 even look at me & his nurse talks like she hates her job.so there u go.That's my reason 4 joining RealSelf.Thank u so much 4 all of your help & support!:)

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have, especially that you do not feel comfortable with the follow-up care that you are receiving. Unfortunately, nothing will replace clinical evaluation when it comes to determining whether a specific finding is “normal” (most probable  temporary air under the abdominal wall flap) of (rarely) a sign of a serious complication. Therefore, despite best efforts, online consultants will not be able to be truly helpful. Ask for an additional follow up visit ( earlier than already scheduled, if necessary) with your plastic surgeon and  address your concerns. Best wishes.

Hi and thank you for your question. It's very difficult for me to interpret what you mean by "air bubbles".  This is the type of concern after a tummy tuck that needs to be addressed with a physical exam and actually putting hands on the patient.

It's unfortunate that your relationship with your surgeon has deteriorated. There was something about this surgeon that made you chose him/her. A great deal of trust needs to be established prior to actually handing yourself over to a perfect stranger. You MUST be more assertive and demand that he/she take the time to listen to your concerns. Don't you feel that you are entitled to this? Why are you intimidated? There are ways of expressing yourself that don't come off as offensive and I'm sure you know how to ask. Please do so.

No one on this forum will be able to give you any sort of advice without the benefit of seeing you. As far as the nurse goes......hat's a shame also. Life is just to short to hate what you do. It may be that she had a bad day which we are all entitled to. Good luck

Sensation is altered after a tummy tuck and takes quite a while for it to return to normal

Sensation is altered after a tummy tuck and takes quite a while for it to return to normal, many times up to 3 months. There are always strange sensations because of the drain, the muscle tightening and the other procedures, but they usually resolve slowly with time. It may represent bubbles as you described, but it may simply be an altered sensation that will improve with time. At this point I believe this is without normal limits, particularly if there is no redness or fever, but if those things occur you should consult your doctor.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Air beneath tummy tuck

It would be unusual to have air that is still present underneath your tummy tuck two weeks after surgery. Typically when this air in the tissues it sounds like crackling when you press on it. This air is insignificant and is not harmful. If this is what you are experiencing then this will resolve with time.

But YOU chose your surgeon! ALWAYS best to follow ONLY his postoperative requirements. Unless you would like to see another boarded PS in Miami/Miami Beach to care for all your post operative questions, issues, healing than please allow your chosen surgeon to render care- you paid for it. I/we are happy to take on your post operative care but there will be a consult fee. BTW air bubbles could be/become a very very serious matter. You need to be examined... . 

Bubbles under Skin after Tummy tuck

I honestly suggest you to go to your PS this shouldn't be normal after 2 weeks of post op and you need to be examined by a profesional to know what is happening  for sure.

Carlos Lopez Collado, MD