How long after Tummy Tuck I have to wait till I can laugh, Cough or can cry again?

belly muscles painful

Pain with cough laugh and cry

You would do some of these things in moderation immediately after surgery. This will not feel comfortable.  Coughing is really necessary to help prevent any secretions from building up in your lungs. Coughing is encouraged. These things will get better as you heal.

Coughing after an abdominoplasty

After an abdominoplasty you will want to avoid excessive stress on the fascial repair.  It is unlikely that coughing or laughing will cause any permanent harm to your overall result.  

Tummy tuck recovery

You'll have to wait until you wake up after surgery for this!  Once you awaken after surgery, there should be no reason you can't cough, laugh, or (we hope you have no reason to cry).  It's important that you be able to cough after surgery to clear your lungs as we do each day without even thinking about it.  This minimizes the risk that you get a pnuemonia or other problem.  Hugging a pillow may help if you find this at all uncomfortable at first.  If this isn't your experience for recovery, then contact your surgeon to make sure your level of comfort is what they expect.  Your surgeon can best evaluate you for any problems.  Best regards!

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Muscle pain after tummy tuck usually is much better after the first week.

Usually after the first week you're able to cough and tighten your muscles without extreme pain.  However discomfort can remain for up to 3 weeks.  If you're having extreme pain he should see your physician for an examination.

You may also try placing a pillow and gently hold it against her stomach when you have to cough or sneeze.

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. In general, it would take a significant amount of pressure to ‚Äútear" the muscle repair after tummy tuck surgery. This event would likely be associated with significant discomfort. A change in your physical examination, such as increased swelling, bleeding, a new onset "bulge" would also be likely.
Generally speaking, abdominal wall muscle plication performed during tummy tuck surgery is quite secure; disruption is very unusual.