How to afford a tummy tuck..?

Hi! I'm an 18 year old freshman in college. I have struggled with weight loss my entire life and even when I lose weight, my stomach still does not look good. I would like to get a tummy tuck to get rid of some excess skin by weight loss and lose more weight. I am under my parent's health insurance plan but I don't know if that helps at all. Is there a way to make an operation more affordable? I do work full time and parents would help. How much is the average cost?

How to Afforce Tummmy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·         excess abdominal skin which may sag

·         a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·         weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·         excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

The cost will depend upon the type of tummy tuck anesthesia skill find an experience of the surgeon. There’ll be regional differences. Approximate costs can be found on real self, and other websites such as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Payment plans can be offered through Care Credit, local banks, credit cards, and other companies such as Prosper.  Some plans have 12-18 months interest free.

Tummy tuck affordability

Tummy tuck is not a procedure to enable you to lose weight. It is important to at your ideal weight first. In terms of insurance coverage, the criteria under which surgery is authorized are extremely limited and you do not fulfill them.  The cost varies geographically but in NYC typically begins at $12,000.

Excess abdominal skin

Thank you for your question.  The tummy tuck procedure is not covered by insurance as it is considered a cosmetic procedure.  The cost of the surgery varies from one surgeons to the next but typically ranges between $5000 and $9000.  Some surgeons offer free consultations to determine whether or not you are a candidate for surgery.  I suggest that you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck

First, tummy tucks are not covered by insurance. Second, unless you have severe skin laxity from massive weight loss, I would wait until you have completed child bearing.

Tummy tuck

Costs of cosmetic surgeries vary depending on the geographic location, procedure and surgeon. You can visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) website to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and I would call them to set up a consultation so you can have a detailed estimate written up for you. I can tell you that the Realself average cost for a tummy tuck ranges between $8,000 and $9,000. A tummy tuck will not be covered by insurance but most practices will offer some type of payment plan. One of the most common ones offered is Care Credit and you can easily apply on their website and make monthly payments to them until your surgery is paid in full. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

How to afford a tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss. To answer your question, pricing for tummy tucks can depend on your location, but a ballpark would be somewhere around $8000-$10,000. You are very young and women are generally advised to wait until after they have had any children to move forward with a tummy tuck. Otherwise, the tightening that is done will more than likely re stretch out during pregnancy and require some sort of revision. Some insurance companies will cover partial cost of skin removal only, but that would require you meeting with a surgeon that accepts your insurance and then them sending a letter with pictures on your behalf to see what your insurance would say. Usually it requires significant weight loss for any type of approval. Tummy Tucks are 99% purely cosmetic, and therefore would be 100% your responsibility to pay for in full before surgery would be scheduled. There are many financing options available, and you could discuss these options with the surgeon of your choice. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck financing

Thank you for your question. Generally speaking, a Tummy Tuck procedure is considered cosmetic and is not covered by health insurance. My best advice to you is to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will carefully assess your aesthetic goals and wishes. Many plastic surgery practices offer financing such as Care Source - in some cases for up to a year or so interest-free. Very good luck to you.