Is a CT Scan required before surgery or optional if you've had a hernia repair with mesh?

'MY surgeon is requesting that I have an Abdominal CT scan before my full tummy tuck since I've had a hernia repair (Lapaaroscopic) with mesh. I would prefer not to be exposed to the additional radiation. Is this absolutely necessary, best practice, or just preference? Can the procedure be done safely without it? I've already provided the surgeon with my surgery note.

CT Scan Prior to a Tummy Tuck

A CT scan is not necessarily required for the surgery to be performed; however, considering that you’ve had a hernia, your surgeon may be taking precautions. If he believes there is a risk, the scan will aid them in the tummy tuck. It’s best to consult with your surgeon and address your concerns to find the reasoning behind their decision. 

CT Scan Prior to a Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Need for CT scan?

Although I have not examined you in-person, if you had a laparoscopic hernia repair with no new symptoms, I would not request for CT scan.  Ask your plastic surgeon why the CT scan would be necessary for your case. 

Best regards.

Need for CT scan?

Best regards.

CT scan prior to TT after laparoscopic hernia repair?

If the mesh was placed through a laparoscopic approach it should not affect or impede a TT procedure. In my opinion, a CT scan is not needed. 

Is a CT scan needed

Dear ssolo98:

If you have a prior history of a laparoscopic hernia repair with mesh and you are not having any new issues with a hernia or GI related issues, I would likely not order an Abdominal CT scan.   It would not change what I would do in a cosmetic tummy tuck procedure.   Imaging is OK to order if it potentially can change the course of treatment.  That said, a formal physical exam and consultation is needed to give you any meaningful advice.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Is a CT scan needed

Dear ssolo98:

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

CT Scan for Hernia Repair

If the mesh is causing any kind of symptoms, or there is question of the hernia recurring, or if there is uncertainty about the exact size or placement of the mesh then a CT scan may provide the surgeon with a "road map" for surgery.  

Mesh can safely be removed without risk of the hernia recurring especially if a muscle repair is performed.  Larger pieces of synthetic mesh on the abdominal wall can cause eventual problems, and a CT scan can help determine if removal is needed. 

CT Scan for Hernia Repair

No, a CT scan is not necessarily required before surgery in situation like yours.  In my practice, I would not request one unless there is a specific concern.

In your case, best to ask your plastic surgeon about his rationale behind requesting the CT scan.  It may be that he will change his mind about its importance or value once you have expressed your reservations.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

CT scan?

Thanks for this question. A CT scan is not a requirement for tummy tuck surgery, unless your plastic surgeon found something on examination that warrants getting the CT scan. I would strongly suggest you have a conversation about the physical exam findings and the reasons he feels you need the CT scan. Most likely, he is concerned about the integrity of the hernia repair. Best, Dr. ALDO

CT scan?