What are the pros and cons, of these tummy tuck medications? Methylprednisolone 4mg - dose pack Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg

What are they used for? What are the side effects or possible complications? I take a natural approach when it comes to dealing with illnesses and medications. I would like an honest answer if it is truly necessary for my recovery these meds, especially the steroid.

Tummy Tuck medications.

Personally I have never used nor seen the need for steroids with a tummy tuck.  I always use antibiotics (though not doxycycline) for a period of one week.  My preference is for the use of Keflex in non-allergic patients. Discuss your feelings with your surgeon of course.....and best wishes. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Tummy Tuck medications.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I do not use steroids for tummy tuck. Doxycycline is an antibiotic sometimes used for prophylactic prevention of infection especially for the sake of drain. 

Steroids and Antibiotic

Dear nini877, I have not found methylprednisolone dose pack to be necessary in tummy tucks. Doxycycline is an antibiotic, and everyone has their own favorite choices. Personally, I prefer a different antibiotic called Keflex as most staph bacteria are resistant to doxycycline. That resistance profile, however, may be different in your community. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Steroids and Antibiotic

The doxycycline is an antibiotic and it is usual for an antibiotic to be given after a tummy tuck, especially if drains are placed. As to the steroid, I see no advantage in using it.