I have a seroma that won't heal . My Dr. Said with compression it should resolve it self. (photo)

6wks after Everything was going well, till I was getting my 4 yr. Old out of tub I got kicked in the stomach. I tried to find a Dr. in the Boise,Idaho area but no body will help. I'm afraid to ruin my results. I wear my compression wear around the clock but I'm getting tired of it and after four weeks since I developed this seroma it has reduced in size but I can still see it come back if I'm out of compression wear for any prolonged period. Help I'm willing to travel if anyone can help

Doctor Answers 3

Why aren't your local doctors willing to help?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would be paying them a fee every time they saw you so I find it perplexing how plastic surgeons refuse to help patients in need.  So where was your procedure done and why can't you see your original surgeon about this as it may require more surgery or interventions to resolve.

I have a seroma that won't heal . My Dr. Said with compression it should resolve it self.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like you have a collection of fluid under your skin. This is likely a seroma.
I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing. 
Small seromas can resolve  with compression alone, but may require drainage in the office. Sometimes patients require multiple visits to remove fluid, or placement of a temporary catheter.
If you are unable to see your surgeon, find a board-certified plastic surgeon who can help you. 

Serooma persists

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. A small seroma should resolve with compression alone. In some cases a s small catheter called a Seromacath my be placed to drain the fluid collection and left in place for several days. In some cases of persistent seroma formation, a medication may be required to be injected in to the fluid collection cavity to encourage adherence of the abdominal wall.  I encourage you to speak to a Board Certified Plastic Sugeon in your area or preferably, the operating surgeon who wants most for you to have an excellent result!
Best Wishes,Michael Morrissey, MD

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.