Is it safe to ingest edible forms of marijuana after a tummy tuck?

I'm post op 1 week and just curious if I eat a marijuana cookie, can it cause harm to the healing of my surgery. I do understand smoking cigarettes and marijuana smoke can cause corbon monoxide poisoning which is damaging because of how the blood is affected but unclear of eating it can cause any negative outcomes.

Marijuana and Pain Control after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question regarding edible forms of THC and tummy tuck recovery.  I am not aware of studies which show the safety of ingesting edible marijuana after abdominal surgery.  The problem with THC is that it may interact with the other medications which you are taking and create unwanted drug interactions and complications.    For example, if you are taking Vicodin or Percocet for pain control, what will be the effect of THC on your comfort?   Will you become too "out of it" to be safe?  Since walking around frequently is critical to avoid blood clots after tummy tuck, will the use of THC  make it more difficult to ambulate safely?   In my opinion, too many unknowns to go there.   I am hopeful you make a good choice.  Best wishes!

Marijuana and surgery

Hello thank you for your question.   The use of marijuana in any form is not a safe proven treatment after surgery.   For this matter I wouldn't recommend you to take marijuana cookies.   Other painkillers are available for you that are safe and are enough for give you a good analgesia.  Have a great day.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Marijuana Use After Tummy Tuck

I am aware of no study that has examined the impact of wound healing and oral ingestion of marijuana or THC extracts.  That being said, after a tummy tuck, most patients are on medications that can potentially react with marijuana.  Commonly prescribed post-op pain medications are the number one concern as their side effects can be increased.  Also, it is also possible that your response to marijuana will be altered during your recovery period.  Plastic surgeons advise their patients to try and keep their bodies as close to "baseline" before and after surgery.  Please contact your plastic surgeon before taking any non-prescribed or pre-approved medications during your recovery period.  There will be plenty of time for the party after your recovery.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon