Can I swim in a pool with chlorine after tummy tuck?

Summertime & Tummy Tuck Surgery

After a tummy tuck procedure, it important to not submerge your incision under water until the incision is completely healed or until you are cleared by your plastic surgeon. The typical healing time is about 6 weeks. If you are past this point, it should be fine. Remember to follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure proper healing and your satisfaction. Congratulations on your new body makeover, and I hope you have a great Summer!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Swimming pools after Tummy Tuck

Thanks for submitting your question! I would say 6-10 weeks is perfectly adequate to swim in a chlorine pool. 
All the best,Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

When can I swim after a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  Prior to swimming after a tummy tuck, all incisions should be well healed. This usually occurs at 3-4 weeks assuming no wound healing issues arose in the post operative period.  Many docs feel differently about how soon one can resume swimming. Be in close contact with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.  Its best to make sure everything has healed well before hopping in the pool
Best wishes,J. Michael Morrissey, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Please discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after tummy tuck surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks after surgery. You will want all incision lines to be completely healed.  You will also want to be mostly pain-free and free from concern such as muscle spasm. From the safety standpoint, much of the timing of returning to swimming will depend on exactly what you mean by “swimming”. For some people this means wading knee-high in shallow water;  for some people it may means swimming  long distances in choppy water.  For this reason, return to activities should be individualized and gradual. In other words, start slow and "listen to your body" as you gradually progress in intensity/duration of exercise. Best wishes.