Should a patient be marked for Cellfina with butt cheeks clenched to show more dimples or relaxed?

I am wondering if the cheeks should be clenched or muscle flexed and tightened to show where dimples are that are not there when the butt is relaxed. Sometimes a butt looks worse when walking or other movements. I am wondering if some of these dimples can be treated also?

Cellfina

Both ways can be helpful.  Lighting is important because standard overhead lighting may not show each area well enough to see subtle dimples.

Cellfina...

Thank you for your question.  When Cellfina was initially launched markings were done at rest, over time we have learned to visualize all of the dimples we need to to use different modalities to view all of the dimples, like different lights at different angles, having the patient at rest and at full motion (clenched), etc.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina markings

Yes, we mark our patients for Cellfina treatments with and without their buttocks clenched to show us all of the areas which should be treated.

Positioning pre op for Cellfina

Positioning pre op for CellfinaI agree that positioning both ways is useful.    mark all of the dimples both dynamic an d static.

Cellfina Produces Improvement in Cellulite That Lasts

Hello and thank-you for your question! Cellfina is the latest break though for the treatment of cellulite. Cellfina works extremely well for cellulite of the buttocks and posterior and lateral thighs made more visible with movements such as clinching, exercise, and crossing your legs. Prior to performing the procedure, I mark the dimpled areas for treatment.  I then have my patients clench their buttocks which typically produce additional areas of dimpling and I mark these areas for treatment.  I then ask my patients to look at themselves in a full length mirror to show me any areas of cellulite present only with certain movements, such as twisting or crossing their legs, and I mark these areas for treatment. Cellfina targets the fibrous bands which are the source of the dimpling in cellulite. It is most effective for the treatment of deep dimples and depressions of the buttocks and back of the thighs. It is less effective in the treatment of generalized waviness. Cellfina is a minimally invasive treatment performed in the office. We are seeing an extremely high level of satisfaction for our patients treated with Cellfina. The investigational studies for Cellfina have just been released and have shown an impressive patient satisfaction rate of 85% at 3 months, 94% at one year and 96% at 2 years. This is a very exciting solution for the many women who suffer from the embarrassment of cellulite. . Best Regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Cellfina helps dimples from cellulite

Cellfina releases the fiberous bands that connect the skin to underlying structures.  These fibrous bands tighten and pull the skin inward sometimes, causing dimpling (most evident on the buttocks.  It is common that flexing the muscle by walking, running or other exercise may pull the cords tighter and worsen the appearance of the dimple.  I mark patients after observing the changes caused by clenching the muscle.  If an obvious dimple appears with clenching I treat it.  These are almost always visible when relaxed but may be subtle and clenching points them out.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina Assessment

An important component of identifying areas that are treatable by Cellfina is having the patient flex/clench their buttocks to accentuate any present dimples and identify any dimples that may not have been seen otherwise.  Assessment and marking are the most important components of a Cellfina treatment, and in our practice, we review markings in a well lit photo room from various angles to ensure all treatable areas are identified.  We typically mark all apparent dimples first, then have the patient flex their buttocks to ensure there are no other areas that appear dimpled upon flexion of the muscle.  It is critical that the target area I viewed in good lighting from various angles, with and without flexion of the buttocks to ensure all areas are being treated.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Clenched or Relaxed with photos for Cellfina

It may be helpful to take photos at rest and also clenched to show all areas of dimpling. According to the Cellfina trainers, at rest is the only photos necessary, however the more markings and pre-photos the better measure you have before hand. Discuss with your Healthcare Professional for their opinion. 
#cellulite #clenched #dimples #cellfina

I think that relaxed and flexed gluteal muscles can be helpful to see the cellulite. Tangential lighting is also useful to help see the contour irregularities. Good luck!

Cellfina Markings

It is important to visualize the tissue while relaxed and flexed in order to see the areas that need to be treated.  The dimples that are marked while relaxed and flexed are both treated.  The results from Cellfina are amazing and clinical studies show results to at least two years.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS