Doctor's say no for tummy tuck for plus size. But yes to panniculectomy for obesity. (photos)

Why is it not okay to have a tummy tuck after losing 80 pounds. Because I'm 220 and 5'4. But a doctor would do panniculectomy for someone who was 500lbs and went down to 330 but has more weight to lose. I'm pretty sure their bmi surpass my bmi. Please if any doctor can answer this question i will greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Are you at 220 or 300? I might offer you staged operations to achieve a more later abdomen. Operation #1 Panniculectomy of lower abdomen..... After 6 months Operation #2 Continuing to Full TT. Fees in $15,000 to $20,000 ranges..

Tummy tuck or panniculectomy

Thank you for the question and photos. A tummy tuck is not a weight loss operation and most plastic surgeons are reluctant to recommend this procedure whenever one's Body Mass Index exceeds advisable levels. Usually, a BMI less than 30 is advised and it is important to be close to your goal weight when having the surgery.  It sometimes boils down to the doctor's judgement on whether it would be appropriate to perform the procedure. I would recommend to schedule a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to see if you could be a candidate for a full tummy tuck, which is particularly effective in correcting muscle separation, flabby skin, and bulging of the upper abdomen.  An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain an individualized medical advice. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Panniculectomy versus tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck if you are reasonably healthy, don't smoke, and don't plan to lose a significant amount of additional weight.  A doctor may consider panniculectomy only if you are trying to get full coverage by insurance to pay for your procedure.  Many insurances may cover  panniculectomy, but not a full abdominoplasty.  If you have additional scars, that may increase your risks for an abdominoplasty;  this would best be evaluated by an inperson consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your questions and pictures..  I don't know.  I would be able to do a tummy tuck with lipo on you at the current weight as long as your expectations meet my capabilities.  Seek a second opinion by a Board Certified PS.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Doctor's say no for a tummy tuck?

You need to see additional doctors in your area.  You need in person consultations but based solely on your pics, you likely are a candidate for a full tummy tuck or with extensions of the excision into the flanks (extended tummy tuck).  Liposuction would also need to be performed, you would need clearance from your PCP, and likely an overnight stay.  However, overall you appear to be a good candidate.Good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Doctor's say no for tummy tuck for plus size. But yes to panniculectomy for obesity.

I would absolutely consider a full and extended Abdominoplasty for you. Although your BMI is greater than 37, with medical clearance and participation from a qualified Internist, as well as overnight stay at the Hospital- this service can be safely provided.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs panniculectomy with elevated BMI

Studies have shown a higher risk of complications with any surgery with a BMI over 30.  A panniculectomy also can have a high risk of complications with the high BMI but is considered "less invasive" than a standard tummy tuck.  Most surgeons would not recommend elective surgery such as a tummy tuck for a high BMI due to the risks involved.  A panniculectomy that is chronically infected may not be so elective.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD