Why do some belly buttons look fake after TT and others look natural as if there was no surgery done?

I'm scheduled for a TT this September and am worried I will get one of those belly buttons that look like a dent in your belly versus an actual realistic (but small) hole. Also I notice some belly buttons have a visible "stitch line scar" months after healing while others don't have a single trace that there was work done there. Is this something that is in the control of the plastic surgeon? I wouldn't be satisfied with just a nice flat stomach if the belly button looks unnatural.

Belly button

Because each surgeon has different tummy tuck techniques, I would advise you to look at the surgeons before and after photos to see the results of his patients and if you like them or not and to voice your questions and concerns about the belly button you desire so that you and your surgeon are on the same page. In regards to the scar, there are options out there such as topical scar creams and lasers that can help diminish the look of the scar. Avoiding sun exposure and always applying a high SPF to the area is important in preventing hyperpigmentation (darkening of the scar tissue).
Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Why do some belly buttons look fake?

How your belly button looks post op is very much dependent upon your surgeon and the technique that they use.  Make sure you see before and afters of belly buttons that your surgeon has done....and you are right, a poorly done belly button can completely ruin the overall aesthetics.Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

#Tummytuck #plasticsurgery #abdominoplasty

Hi plasticbrain, thank you for your excellent question! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. If you seek out a second opinion look for the following:  *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol   *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  My very best, Brian Coan, MD, FACS   Care Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

Each doctor may use a different technique - look at their photos and see what kind of belly buttons they make. Sometimes, your anatomy determined what kind of belly button you get. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Belly bottom appearance

thank you for the question. The belly bottom appearance has a lot to do with several factors. The quality of scar has an important impact on the result. Obviously the surgical technique has a lot to do with the outcome as well. I use a number of technique to improve the results including shaving the fat behind the umbilicus, designing the suture line so that it is hard to see from the front, anchoring sutures so that a pleasing indentation is seen. Good luck on your surgery. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

surgical skill and experience performing the abdominoplasty is key. Additionally, keep in mind that many photos aren't indicative of full healing. Best wishes.

Belly Button

The belly button is an important landmark.  Quality of the result here is important.  Ask your board certified plastic surgeon to see some examples of their work in this area and they should be able to show you lots of pictures.  Sometimes overactive scarring can make a belly button look unnatural  and sometimes the original belly button is difficult to fix but most  tummy tuck cases should result in very natural looking belly button.  This is a very good question!

William Koenig, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

The appearance of the umbilicus is a something that should be as perfect as possible and you should not be able to pick it out as unnatural.I would suggest a surgeon with at least 15years of experience who can show you many photos of such patients and can even have you speak with them. 
Hope this helps
Leland Deane MD FACSManhattan,garden city and Babylon NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Appearance of umbilicus (belly button) after tummy tuck surgery?

Thank you for the question.  You are not alone; many patients are very concerned about the postoperative appearance of their umbilicus. Ultimately, the appearance of your umbilicus will be largely dependent on the technical skill and the aesthetic sense of your chosen plastic surgery. This is one of the many reasons why selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decisions you make.  Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably see/talk to patients who your prospective  plastic surgeon has helped in the past.
Understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. Ifit is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus.
I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps.

Why do Some Belly Buttons Look Fake?

This mainly depends on the skill of your surgeon. Be sure you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic surgeon and have a frank discussion about your concerns. Ask to see before and after pictures of patients so that you can get a good idea of what to expect. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD