Has my abdominal muscle repair failed? (Photo)

Hello, I had a full tt with abdominal repair from top to bottom, lipo, hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. About a week after surgery I strained myself some and have now noticed the top of my stomach has become protruding and I feel like it has no support at all. Once I eat or drink it becomes more prominent as if I'm pregnant. Going in I had very little skin that needed removing, I am physically fit. 5'4" 125lbs. 5 weeks after surgery the area is still extremely sore. Have the sutures failed?

Very common for fullness

in the upper abdomen after a tummy tuck with muscle plication as the plication pulls your tissues towards the midline and the like how the Rockies were formed, the fullness is very similar.  If you're convinced you tore something, ask your surgeon as you can be checked by doing a crunch and feeling the midline of your abdomen.  I'm doubtful you tore anything or sutures failed but confirm with your surgeon.

Tummy Tuck Healing

It seems like you are healing quite well.  I do not see any major bulging from the top of your tummy.  Please see your surgeon if you are concerned, however.The upper bulging you experience occurs after eating because the stomach expands to handle the food before digestion.  When tummy muscles are loose, this is not as noticeable.To further tighten abdominal muscles after tummy tuck, I recommend ab and core workouts beginning 8 weeks to 12 weeks after surgery.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuxk

it could be you have some separation of the upper repair, but that would probably take quite a bit of exertion at 5 weeks. See you doctor, get an ultrasound, and wait a month or two to let things quiet down.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Failed repair

Thank you for your question. Based on your photo everything looks ok. You will however need an exam to properly determine if any sutures pulled through. It may be just swelling due to over exertion. Best of luck with your recovery.

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Has my abdominal muscle repair failed?

Unfortunately it's very hard to tell without examining you in person. Make sure to express your concerns to your surgeon so that they can examine you.

Possible muscle repair issues after abdominoplasty

Greetings.  Based on the information provided, it is possible you may have experienced some issue with the muscle repair.  However, it is difficult to say for sure as a physical exam is needed and there are no photos available. The best course would be to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  A revision can be done in the future if it is needed based on the recommendation of you surgeon. Best wishes.

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Tummy tuck revision

Hello,  thank you for your question and photo.   It's hard to tell without a physical examination,  but reading what is happening at this moment after eating with your upper abdomen and having the history of strain  it's very probably that you have a rupture of the suture of the muscle repair on your upper abdomen.  If so,  a TT revison should be made in a few more months.  Have a great day.  Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Post-Op Healing From Tummy Tuck

There are a couple of things to consider with your healing period from your tummy tuck. While you are likely able to handle your normal daily activities the swelling and healing of the sutures is still in progress. If you are feeling any pain or discomfort from your strain that was experience, your best option may be to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated.Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.Best of luck!