Is the fluid in my stomach after tummy tuck normal?

I had a tummy tuck with Lipo done on July 22. Today when I touched my tummy it felt like a water balloon jumped from one side of my tummy to the other. It isn't hard but my tummy is a little but distended. Plus there are a couple of harder lumps that feel like they are about the size of a lemon along mu incision line. I tried to call my doctor but since it is Sunday the office is closed. It did say they check messages throughout the day. I waiting for a call back but very concerned.

Dear Jamie_L, What you are describing is a seroma under the abdominal flap. This is treated with either intermittent aspirations or placement of a small drain under local anesthesia for continuous drainage. That latter usually resolves the problem more quickly. Keeping your activity level low and wearing a compressive band will also help with that. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

You should have seen your surgeon

by now and had an aspiration for your seroma.  You can anticipate repeated aspirations until this is resolved.  And if it doesn't resolve, there are procedures that can help with resolution.  Best of luck.

Curtis Wong, MD

Fluid after tummy tuck

an unusual complication if you had a drain for 4-5 days postop, but not a big problem. It should be drained in. Office, may need to be done several times, and will benefit from a snug garment. This is more common after lipo done with tummy tuck in my practice.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fluid wave

Hello and thank you for your question! What you are describing sounds like there is fluid under the abdominal tissue. This is something that the body produces and sometimes can accumulate in areas where there is a significant amount of empty space. As long as there is no infection present this is not something that is an emergency but it should be drained as soon as possible. If you notice redness, warmth, pain, fever and any other signs of infection, then this is something that should be addressed immediately. A seroma can be a common complication after tummy tuck. If this happens in my practice I usually aspirate the fluid with a needle and then place a compressive dressing so as to apply pressure in the area that I drained. Then I have the patient come back a few times during the week to check if the fluid re-accumulates (which is usually the case) and then I repeat the above steps. The fluid usually decreases in volume with each drainage and eventually stops accumulating. You should definitely be seen by your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. I hope this helps and good luck!
Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Tuck Tuck Question

Good question! You have fluid that needs to be drained. Your doctor or nurse should be able to aspirate most of the fluid off of your abdomen. This procedure should not hurt.  You will probably need to be aspirated 2-3 times a week until your fluid stops building up. Keep tight compression on your abdomen at all times to help your skin stick back down to your muscle layers. Keep massaging your incision line daily to help with buildup of scar tissue underneath your incision. Good luck! 

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Hello,You have a seroma, the number one complication after a tummy tuck. It is not dangerous, but you will need to get it drained soon. Continue trying to get an early appointment with your surgeon.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What your describing sounds like a seroma. This is a collection of fluid under the skin. It typically needs to be drained. Hopefully you are now able to get in contact with your surgeon, so that they can see you in person and make definitive recommendations.

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. From what you describe it looks like you have a seroma. It is very important to see your surgeon as soon as possible to have him take the liquid out or place a drain. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Fluid afater tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. What you describe is a situation called a "seroma", This is fluid that accumulates between your muscle and skin layer after a tummy tuck. It is important to be seen by your surgeon quickly. You may need the fluid to be drawn out( with a needle) or a small drain may be placed.  You should be seen today!Best wishes,Dr. Morrissey

Abdomional Fluid after TT

Hi Jamie
This is not normal and needs to be addressed quickly.  Call your doctor now and don't wait.