How long does it take for swelling to go down from tummy tuck and lipo of the flanks? Right now my measurement are then same.

I just had my mommy makeover with natetelle inspira smooth round implants 365 cc, full tummy tuck, & lipo of the abdomen, flanks, & axilla I'm 39, 5'4 & 136lbs. I had a baby with an emergency c-section 15 years ago. Today I'm 5 days post-op. My measurements are the same now then before I started. How long does it take for the swelling to go down. I also weighed 136 before surgery and 146 after so I gained 10 lbs of fluid. I'm very happy with my boobs so far. I went from a 36 a/b to 36 c/d!

Thank you for your pictures and questions. At only 5 days after surgery, you are seeing exactly what you should be seeing. There should be a significant amount of swelling and it is likely that you will gain weight during this period. It will take at least three months for things to settle completely and for you to start seeing your final results.

One word of caution. It seems that in your pre-op photos, you had a significant amount of skin on your lower abdomen. When this is the case, liposuction often makes this problem worse if the skin does not retract well. I suspect that your lower abdomen will continue to have sagging of the skin and you might have been better off to consider a tummy tuck to treat this area. That is always an option going forward if you are unhappy with how things turn out.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Mommy Makeover

You are very early in your recovery, and your swelling at this point is normal. With each passing day/week you will see improvement. Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and contact him or her with any concerns. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Mommy make-over recovery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.

• On the 5th day after surgery, your swelling is at its peak.\
  • You may see little improvement for another two weeks, then swelling slowly subsides.
  • At six weeks, you'll have an idea of your result.
  • It will be at least six months before you see your final result.
  • So don't worry about being heavier - just focus on recovery and get back to activity as allowed by your surgeon and let your body do the rest.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes.

Mommy make-over recovery

How long?

Hi ZGirl.

It takes a year for all your swelling to go away. However, most people don't notice swelling after about 2 to 3 months. Talk to your plastic surgeon about all your concerns. 

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

How long?

Hi ZGirl.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

How long does it take for swelling to go down from tummy tuck and lipo of the flanks?

You are experiencing normal post operative swelling right now and its far too soon to compare pre and post measurements or weight.  This will get better with each passing day and around 3 weeks the significant swelling should be gone.  However,  some swelling will persist and you will need to wait a few months before knowing if this was your desired outcome.  Be sure to wear a good compression garment, eat and drink a healthy diet and take short walks (if even just around your home.)    

2-3 weeks for most of the swelling to subside, minimum of 6 months to see the final result

Most of the swelling will resolve 2-3 weeks, which may contribute to your "static" measurement and slight weight gain.  Provided that you stick to healthy lifestyle, it is not a cause for concern.

Nonetheless, keeping the swelling to a minimum is known to promote healing.  Good hydration (cut back on caffeine and alcohol, or better yet, avoid them altogether in the meantime), superb diet (minimize salt/sodium intake and avoid empty calorie foods), light exercise (walking remains the best option), and use of compression garments can all do wonders. 

Furthermore, it will take a minimum of six months for your skin to redrape to the final contour.  Hence, patience is really a virtue when it comes to mommy makeover or any type of combo body contouring surgery.

Good luck and best wishes. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery! Healing after a tummy tuck and liposuction is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

Recovery

At this point what you are experiencing is normal. Stop weighing yourself and taking measurements. Instead, concentrate on eating well, drinking plenty of fluids and walking, all which are necessary for a good recovery. Generally, you will continue to have some swelling for a few months but with each week that passes you will notice improvement.

Recovery

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Post-op swelling

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your procedure! It's great that you are already happy with your results at this early stage. At this point, it's completely normal to experience some bruising and swelling. Any remaining bruising should be gone within a week, but swelling may take 6 to 12 months to resolve completely. In the meantime, you will not be able to observe final results.  

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain expert medical advice. Best of luck!

Post-op swelling