How long will it take for my boobs to look and feel "normal" after a boob job?

After i get breast implants, how long will it take for my boobs to be "normal" enough to show my boyfriend? I want them to look like nice real boobs and not be swollen and fake looking before showing them off (to my boyfriend/in bikinis e.c.t) so my question is how long will that be?

Recovery after Breast Implants

Hi

Your breast should look pretty good straight away, but quite swollen for 3 to 6 weeks. This also depends on what size and shape implants you choose. Large implants take a bit longer.

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney 

Breast Augmentation Post Op

Thanks for your question. It depends on the type of implant and whether it is placed below or above the muscle, but for most breast augmentation patients the initial swelling resolves within 2-3 weeks.  The soft tissues tend to remain stiff or firm feeling for 2-3 months, and sometimes up to 6 months or longer, especially if the muscle remains swollen.  Expect to be comfortable being more exposed within 3 months or so (maybe much sooner). Enjoy!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing them to look a little smaller and more natural.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. Wearing your surgical bra as directed and performing breast massages can also help speed up your recovery. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. You breasts should look and feel more natural by 6 weeks post op. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - post-operative results

Thank you for your quesiton. Your question is very common among breast augmentation patients. Your implants will settle down and soften over a 2-4 week period, but give yourself a few months to allow for swelling to subside.  I advise my patients to wear a support (sports) bra for 1 month after surgery and then a non underwire bra for 2 month after surgery.  Best of luck with your research and surgery. 

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

When can I show the new girls off?

I typically tell my patients their breast implants will look and feel natural at about 2-3 months.  They will look great in clothing about 4 weeks post op but when they are at there best would be 2-3 months. Best of luck! 

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 2 to 4 months after surgery was performed.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   

Breast implants: When will my breasts look and feel normal?

At eight weeks your breasts will just be starting to come into and fill your clothes. They will probably look like they would in a good push-up bra but – without the bra. At 3 months you will be approximately 75 to 80 percent shaped and settled. Hope this information helps. Have fun showing them off, and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Most of the discomfort and swelling after breast augmentation resolves by 3 weeks.  However for you to develop the feeling that they are your breasts and not implants and looked much more natural  usually takes 6 weeks.