5'3", 118 lbs 34A. PS suggests 275cc moderate plus. Good size?

I am 33yo, 5'3" 118lb and currently wear a 34A. Scheduled for BA in January and going for a very natural look. My PS suggested 275 cc moderate plus profile saline implants. I do not like the super round, full on top look and I'm really just looking for the fullness I had during pregnancy. Is this sufficient to take me to a 34B/ very small C?

Good Size?

More than likely a 275CC moderate plus profile saline implant will take you to a C proportion.  If you are really looking for a B you may want to consider this.  Ask you plastic surgeon to show you pictures of his patients who are close to your height and weight  and have used the implant he is recommending.  If you see consistently beautiful proportions than you will know you have made a good choice.  Typically we ask our patients to bring a photograph of the look they are hoping to achieve.  This photo hangs in the operating room at the time of their procedure. By suing a sizer during surgery as we make the final selection of the implants, we can get very close to our patient's desired results.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Photos for better advices

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Planned size of implants for upcoming surgery

Thank you for your excellent and pertinent question for patient planning for breast augmentation. Measurable factors, such as height, weight, current bra size and goals for surgery start the decision making.  The base width of your breast, looseness of your tissues, and the amount of skin and underlying tissue should be added to the planning. I find external planning implants placed between you natural breast shape and a bra help you visualize what you may look like after surgery, such as when wearing a conforming top such as a tee shirt or conforming sweater. Although we do not have the benefit of photos, I would expect that your choice of implant size and profile will lead to a pleasing result. The bra size is harder to predict, especially since there are significant variations of styles and manufacturers.  That being said,  a 34 B/c may be possible.  Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Good size

Thank you for your question.  Based on the description of your goals, a 275 cc MP profile implant will likely give you a very natural result.  You should trust in your surgeon's decision which is based on years of experience and training as we did not have the privilege of meeting you in consultation like he/she did.  Best wishes!

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 34 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is also no direct correlation between an implant size or shape and resultant cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question.  Implant size should be based on a measurement of the base width of your breast.  I'm assuming that her plastic surgeon recommended 275 cc based on this measurement.  A general responses that it takes 150-200 cc to increase you by one cup size and the same style bra back to currently wear. Certainly  in my experience patients with a cup breasts who want a natural nonaugmented look do very well with 250-275 cc which should bring them to a full B or small C cup in the same bra that they currently wear. 4 Moron sizing please read the link below:

Tissue is the issue

hard to say without examining you but sounds reasonable.  Many issues too numerous to address in an answer like this.  Your tissues, measurements and goals need to be addressed which a board certified surgeon is trained to do.  Good luck! 

Good implant size?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without an in-depth verbal and visual description of your goal results, as well as measurement of key breast parameters, it is difficult to offer definite implant recommendations.  Most patients benefit from "trying on" different implant sizers to have the best idea as to what their results will be, while their surgeon supplies appropriate guidance based on your anatomic limitations.  Best wishes

Is this implant the right size for me?

As the other surgeons have already said, it is difficult to advise you without an in-person consultation.  It is most important that you convey your goals to your surgeon (as you appear to have done).  Once your surgeon understands your goals and expectations, he or she will measure your chest and breasts and then make recommendations regarding breast implant size.  Based on what you have said, 275cc sounds reasonable for a very natural-appearing augmentation which should increase your size by about one cub size -- keep in mind that actual cup sizes may vary since they aren't alway the same from bra to bra.  I always tell my patients to base their outcomes on how they look and feel rather than on a specific bra size.  However, it is most important that you and your surgeon understand your desires since it is difficult to say without examining you.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon