Are 500cc breast implants too big for my frame?

I am 5ft 2". 115 lbs on my pre-op I decided to change the number of cc's from 500 to 450 cc . My doctor said that there is no difference and I should stick to 500cc. I am scared that it might be too big. This is my first time getting them done I am scheduled for November 12,2016. Sometimes I wonder if he dosen't want me to change them because they have been ordered or is it because he actually feels they will look better on me.. What do you think? Are 500 cc's too big,

500cc Implants in Petite Frame

I am hoping you "tried on" some implant sizers as part of your visit before surgery so you have an idea of what 450 or 500cc look like on you. That said, based on your frame, my guess is 500cc might be a bit much. The issue is whether or not your skin and tissues have the ability to hold an implant of that size.

Are 500cc breast implants too big for my frame

500cc implants are quite large for what I imagine a 5'2, 115 pound person would desire. It is hard to say without before photos and chest measurements, but generally speaking, something more in the 300cc range would seem more appropriate if you are desiring a more natural look. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Size does matter!

As previously well answered, dimensional planning for your specific from is extremely important.  I would caution you not to be caught up in volume, i.e. cc's of fill.  Also, please understand that one should choose a breast implant volume that you will continue to like as you age; bigger is not better.  The constant effect of gravity will be more profound on a heavier, weighty implant.  Since the support ligaments of the breast will be particularly stressed with a large implant, it may make a breast lift indicated in the future.  Trying on implant sizers under a bra or swimsuit and an honest discussion with your surgeon regarding your goals should be helpful.  Veer on the side of conservatism.  A full, pretty breast is more youthful than an overfilled breast that looks unnaturally large and may make you look heavier.

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

There is precious little information to give you an answer. Height and weight are NOT helpful, a physical exam would be necessary to give you the best answer. I will tell you that I disagree with any surgeon that errs on the side of bigger. Bigger implants are more likely to give you problems. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

500cc implants are too large for your frame

500cc breast implants are actually quite large for any frame. Please consider that implants are heavy; and as such, they can cause skin stretch deformities, irreversible soft tissue damage, migrate, cause nipple numbness, chronic pain, etc. Discuss in detail these and other risks and complications associated with large implants with your surgeon before moving forward. 450cc implants are still large and not much different than 500cc implants.

Kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s or a specific implant type or shape. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. 500 cc implants are considered quite large for a  patient your size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Size selection

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

500CC is too big IMO

Without photos and measurements it is hard to give good advice. The base diameter however is what tells us what size implant will "fit" on your chest. If the implant exceeds your diam it will result in too much "side boob" or worse- uniboob. It simply won't fit. A high profile implant maximizes volume in the measured diameter, but gives a rounder appearance. My biggest concern for you is that with your small frame and this large volume, you are going to be at high risk of malposition, asymmetry and the need for revision in the future. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Thank you for your question.  The 500 cc implants are quite large for a small person.  Your plastic surgeon should measure the base width of your breast and choose an implant that matches or slightly smaller than that distance.  If you were not measured either return to your surgeon and insist on this measurement or see another plastic surgeon.

To learn more about sizing and doing the Rice test in the privacy have your home please read the link below:

Based only on your height and weight, I do think you have picked large implants for your frame. You may be perfectly fine and very happy with the result, but large implants stuffed into a tiny space can be a problem when it comes to healing and can be painful. Also, large artificial looking breasts (especially on tiny people) are not really my style, but I'm not the patient here so do what your want.

Discuss this with your surgeon.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon