Is a moderate classic profile my best option to obtain a full, natural look when considering my breast width (13.4 cm)? (Photo)

I am 5'3", 125lbs, 30yrs old, mother of 2, breast width is 13.4 cm (currently 34A). I am looking to achieve full natural looking results-ideally a full C/small D cup. My PS recommended 405cc moderate classic silicone implants under the muscle. Does this seem like a good match to achieve the results I want? Im worried that the moderate profile will look round and flat like a pancake. But if I choose a higher profile I will need much larger implants to achieve the right diameter/width. Any advice?

Choosing the size and volume of your breast implant

I recommend choosing an implant closest to your diameter for the most attractive cleavage and aesthetic result. The volume can be chosen by trying on the implants for added volume inside of a bra. Then match the diameter and the volume by going from moderate to high profile depending on the volume you like, given the same diameter.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Breasts implants size and type

Dear Katie,

Thanks for submitting your picture. From observing your picture, you appear to be  small A cup size with left breast slightly bigger than right breast.

To become full C cup size , you will need implants with volume of 450 cc. For 34 small D - 500 cc. Due to the size asymmetry, you will need a little less volume in the left breast.

As far as implants type, I have been in practice for over 29 years and performed breasts augmentation surgery with implants on thousands of patients. Many of them are mothers and daughter as well as sisters. It is inconceivable  that they would have referred their family, if they would have been unhappy with the outcome. I use almost exclusively, smooth, round , moderate profile saline implants made by Mentor.

The reasons for that preference are too many to discuss in this session, but I will be glad to provide them to you if you contact me.

Not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely, in order to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

Dr Widder

BA sizing

Hello!

The best option for you is to be sized with implant sizers to get an idea of what the different implant sizes will look like after surgery. I find this type of sizing is important to having my patients understand what they will achieve in fullness between different volumes and profiles (moderate vs. moderate plus). Some type of simulation can and should be done.

Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Is a moderate classic profile my best option to obtain a full, natural look when considering my breast width

Thank you for your question.  Although the classic profile has slightly less projection than the moderate profile plus the 400 cc volume is quite large and will definitely enlarge your breast..Since you have good breast anatomy should be able to achieve a very nice breast implant result.  I suggest to see her plastic surgeon again and asked him to put breast implant sizers and a non padded bra.  The prefilled sizers mimic a moderate plus profile so you can compare.  For more information on sizing please read below:

Implant styles

I am more prone to use moderate plus or high profile implants for most patient based upon their anatomy. You would have to be evaluated in person.

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given your concerns (and that your surgery is coming up soon), I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “like a pancake” or "full C or small D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

Personally, I find that most patients with your concerns, are pleased with the outcome achieved with higher profile breast implants.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.