What is the maximum amount of cc's saline implants can be overfilled to in the state of Illinois? I can't get a straight answer!

There is no law that dictates how much overfill can be applied to a saline implant. Excessive overfill leads to leakage and valve failure with increased incidence.

Overfill on Implants?

There is no law or mandate that dictates how much a saline implant can be overfilled.  The manufacturers have a range that they put on all the saline implants.  This is their maximum recommended fill.  However, most of the saline implants can hold more than the max recommended overfill and this does not void the warranty.  It just depends on how much someone needs, and the size of the implant.  For example, a 300cc implant with recommended max fill of 330cc can only be filled to about 400cc before it feels like a rock.  An 800cc implant can be filled to 1200cc and still feel relatively soft.  I hope this helps.

Saline Breast Implants

There is no law that dictates how much fluid overfill can be done in saline breast implants. That is completely up to the judgment of the implanting surgeon. The manufacturer lists recommendations for each implant size but that is not an absolute number.

There is no straight answer.

But it is also not a relevant question. This is not a matter of the law, not does it matter what state you reside in. It is a matter of proper medical judgement. Breast implant manufacturers have a recommended guideline for how much an implant can be overfilled. If one exceeds the manufacturer's recommendations, you are risking an implant malfunction or leak, but more importantly, a very firm breast, greater chance of rippling, and significant stretching of the skin of the breasts that will ultimately result in premature sagging, and almost certainly require revision surgery. I would strongly advise you to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon who can properly advise you as to the most appropriate implant size for your body proportions. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

There is no law regarding this.

You can overfill as much as you want but at some point they will break, so that's why there is a range. Overfilling or underfilling is NOT recommended and may void the warranty. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question.  There are no regulations regarding the filling of an implant, however, over or under filling may void the implant warranty. It's also important to understand the changes that occur during the filling of a saline device where is overfilling. The recommended fill ranges tend to yield the most natural results. Over filling, like blowing up a balloon, results in a tight, round or more distorted appearance. It may also increase the likelihood of rupture of the implant overtime. Conversely, under filling a saline implant will likely reveal more visible and palpable rippling and may also rupture prematurely do due to the folding or flipping of the implant within the pocket. I would certainly talk to your plastic surgeon regarding the appropriate size, shape and contour of an implant that would best be suited for your frame. There are certainly new computer animated technologies that allow further implants election to provide assistance as noted by the attached video below. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

"Overfilling" saline implants

Saline implants are essentially a silicone shell that is filled by a Plastic Surgeon with sterile saline during the Breast Augmentation procedure. Each shell is made to contain a certain volume of saline, with a degree of adjustability. There is a minimum volume of saline recommended by the implant manufacturer to prevent wrinkles in the implant, which could leading to folding of the implant and breakdown of the shell and then implant failure. There is also a maximum fill volume, also determined by the manufacturer, which prevents failure of the valve and shell which could be caused by the pressure of the saline inside the implant. Between the minimum and maximum fill volumes is a range that can be used to adjust for asymmetries between breast sizes that a patient might have. If the minimum and maximum fill volumes determined by the manufacturer are not followed, then the risk of implant failure increases (and the implant warranty is voided). There is no government law regarding this that I am aware of.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

No Law

There is no law regarding how much to fill a saline implant.

The companies that make the implants recommend the proper range of filling.

Going beyond that range and overfilling will nullify the warranty that comes with the implants.

What is the maximum amount of cc's saline implants can be overfilled to

Thank you for the question.  There is no "straight answer" and no state law when it comes to  overfilling saline filled breast implants.  In other words, you may receive a different response from every plastic  surgeon you talk to. 

Some general thoughts regarding overfilling saline breast implants may be helpful to you: 

Saline breast implants are usually filled within a range provided by the breast implant manufacturer. Utilizing saline volumes in the UPPER range of the manufacturer's recommendations helps cut down on concerns such as breast implant rippling. Sometimes, patients who are looking for a certain "round, fake look" benefit from the use of overfilled saline implants.  This involves filling the saline implants past the range provided by the manufacturer.  I have found, through significant experience, that for the appropriately selected patient,  very nice outcomes can be achieved safely.  Of course, the use of overfilled saline breast implants does have some potential drawbacks such as a firmer feel.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery) helps.  On this page, you will see many examples of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery with overfilled saline breast implants. Best wishes.