What causes a dorsal hump? (photo)

I am a 15 year old female and I have a large dorsal hump in the middle third of my nose. It started developing when I was about 11 and has grown significantly since then. No one in my family has a nose anything like mine, they are all straight with no bump. Obviously having a dorsal hump has affected my self esteem quite a lot and I am currently looking into getting it removed. I would like to know what could have caused it, is it in my genes? Or from an accident?

Nasal hump and its treatment

A nasal or dorsal hump is a bump on the bridge of the nose. It is generally something that is inherited, although you can see a hump if you have broken your nose. A dorsal hump typically consists of a mixture of bone and cartilage, although the proportions are different for every nose.
A hump can also appear larger if the top part of your nose near your eyes, called the radix, is deep. In order to improve your profile, it is important to address the cause of the hump. If it is excess cartilage and bone, then surgery can remove them. If the radix is too deep, a cartilage graft can be surgically placed, or a non-invasive rhinoplasty can be done where a semi-permanent filler can fill in the depression and make the profile of your nose straighter.
As you are only 15 years old, your nose is likely still changing and it would be appropriate to wait until it has stopped before doing something irreversible like surgery. A proper evaluation with an experienced surgeon is necessary to properly assess your nose and help discuss the best treatment options.

Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump and its treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

What causes a dorsal hump

That's a very common question.  Most peoples hump is genetic and simply forms as they become skeletally mature.  Many patients want to correlate it to a traumatic event.  While that may cause a hump it is the exception rather than the rule.

What causes a dorsal hump

What causes a dorsal hump? (photo)

A dorsal hump is caused by a combination of bone and cartilage on the top of your nose.  In the absence of any trauma, it is usually inherited.  If this is concerning you, then I recommend that you seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what type of rhinoplasty you would need.

What causes a dorsal hump? (photo)

What causes a dorsal hump?

Dorsal humps either result from developmental changes in growth of the nose or trauma that causes the bones to shift or a callus to form on the nasal bones. The hump is usually composed of bone or cartilage or both. Regardless of the cause, rhinoplasty surgery can reduce the bump and create a straighter profile for you. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What causes a dorsal hump?

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What causes a dorsal hump?

I would not try to analyze this as it would be impossible to know.  I do think that a closed rhinoplasty would help create a nice smooth contour.

What causes a dorsal hump?

Cause of a Dorsal Hump

The nose is composed of:

1)  Bone
2)  Cartilage
3)  Soft Tissue
4)  Skin

The dorsal is formed from growth of the bone and cartilage in the area.  The dorsal hump most commonly forms at the area where the bone meets the cartilage.  The hump forms as a normal growth of the face.  It can be heriditary but unlike secondary to an accident.  It is commonly correctly during a rhinoplasty.

Cause of a Dorsal Hump

The nose is composed of:

1)  Bone
2)  Cartilage
3)  Soft Tissue
4)  Skin