5 days after hair transplant - is this normal, or an infection? I have a large, pus-filled pimple in recipient area (Photos)

Hi. I got a hair transplant 5 days ago. Today, noticed a large, pus-filled pimple in the recipient area, plus some mild oozing in nearby spots in the recipient area. Is this a normal part of the healing process, or should I be concerned I might have an infection? Thanks!

5 days after hair transplant - is this normal, or an infection? I have a large, pus-filled pimple in recipient area

Thank you for your question. To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Folliculitis fluid collection post hair transplant

It is best to follow up with your hair transplant physician. It might be a folliculitis or just accumulation of sebum from hair oil glands.  At times the oily secretions of the hair glands cannot find their way out and develop a collection. Post hair transplant infections are rare, but they can occur and you need to be evaluated by your doctor. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are having issues after surgery, especially with "pus" you need to contact your doctor.

If you are having issues after surgery, especially with "pus" you need to contact your doctor.  It is not normal but it is treatable.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pus-filled pimple in recipient area

large, pus-filled pimple in the recipient area is not a normal part of the healing process, you should  be concerned that you might have a small, (easy to cure) beginning of an infection

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Pus and Infection After Hair Transplant #seattlehairtransplant

• Infections are unusual after hair transplantation.  However, if you are seeing pus, or have any questions regarding a possible infection, it is always best to be evaluated by your surgeon. 
  • Occasionally, one of the transplanted hairs can become ingrown, and an infection can occur. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Possible Infection

Please follow up with your doctor to have this looked at. It is possibly an infection but nothing that can't be cured by some simple oral antibiotics. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Follow Up

Follow up with the Physician who transplanted you in order to rule out infection, It is also important to follow any post-op instruction such as taking the recommended antibiotics to avoid any infection. Best of luck.

Puss in recipient area

When ever you worry about infection, go back to your doctor and have your doctor examine you and let you know what is happening

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pus filled cyst after hair transplant surgery

You need to return to the clinic and inspected by the doctor who do hair transplant in you. No one here actually see your current condition. If infection is suspected or confirmed, oral antibiotics may be needed.

Kwan Jou Chu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon