Scab and attached hair. Did I pull out the grafts?

I got my hair transplant 2 weeks back. Still have some scab. While removing some of the scab which while apprently was loosely attached to the hair. I pulled out small hair shafts with slightly thickened ends. Did I pull out grafts? I thought they should be secure after two weeks?

Damaging grafts two weeks out from hair transplant

It is common for hairs to shed after a transplant and they may come out with some of the crusting.  Fortunately, At two weeks post surgery, it would be unusual to have the actual hair root (graft) come out with the crust - the hairs should be well engrafted by then, 

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Transplanted hair follicles are generally secure after the first week or two. If you are concerned you should contact your docto

Transplanted hair follicles are generally secure after the first week or two. If you are concerned you should contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care after a hair transplant

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your question. 2 weeks post procedure, you should be fine. Typically starting day 8 to 10, you may experience some shedding which is normal. But try not to pick at the scabs/grafts. You are in the safe zone, if it has been atleast 2 weeks, you should be fine. Yes, some of the actual hairs may still fall out and or attached to the scabs, but the body has already taken the DNA. What you see is normal. If you are seriously concerned, check in with your clinic and follow their post-op protocols. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

I doubt

you did any damage since you are so far out.  If you want to be sure, its always best to go in for a follow up exam. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair Pulling Out After Hair Transplant

The individual follicular units are secure at 2 weeks and you did not likely remove any grafts.  You likely just pulled out the hair in the follicle.  This did not likely damage anything and your hair should start growing at 3 months. Hope this helps!Dr. Sajan

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Did I damage my hair transplant?

Typically it is very difficult to damage a hair transplant after 2 weeks. The exception to this would be a sunburn, which needs to be avoided for 90 days. What you are probably experiencing is the new hair breaking off and attached to the scab. The follicle is typically under the skin being nourished etc... and will return 4 to 8 months later.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon