Should I go with 350cc or 400cc saline implants?

I'm 20 years old about 5'7 and 145 pounds and I'm already a C cup but I'm not sure which implant size I should go with for my breast augmentation that's in a few weeks. I definitely don't want to look too heavy but I also want something that will go with my body shape since I'm curvy I'm nervous that 400 cc will look too big and 350cc will look too small for my body type. The implants are going under the muscle! Please help!!

Sizing choices for breast augmentation.

Implant sizing is determined by the look you are going for combined with your anatomy. The difference between 350cc and 400cc is just over 3 tablespoons of fluid. Not very much if you are already a C cup. This is probably not going to be an issue regardless as your surgeon will likely overfill you saline implants to reduce rippling. The best way to identify which size will work for you is to use a sizing system in the office. If you are concerned, a follow up appointment with your surgeon is recommended. Better to be on the same page than regretting your decision afterwards!

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size Options

Thank you for your question. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of how they will look. Typically, when placed under the muscle, breast implants can appear a bit smaller after you have healed. It may be useful to keep this in mind when you are deciding.
All the best

Photos for advices

Thanks for the question.

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question.  First of all, why are you going with saline.  That size of implant may result in rippling and the weight will cause droopiness sooner than a silicone implant.  Second, the difference between 350 and 400 cc is just over an ounce and this will be a minimal size difference compared to your existing C.  Finally, adding 350-400 cc to a C breast will make you likely a DD+.  Is this your size goal? That said, try to use silicone gel if you can. The results will be that much better.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Without all views of photos and the benefit of physical exam- it's difficult to answer your question accurately. It is best to go through a thorough sizing process after your measurements are taken. Make sure that you thoroughly discuss everything with your chosen Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

***Given your concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “top heavy” or "C or D cup” to "too big or too small" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

350 mL or 400 mL Breast Implants?

The difference between 350 mL and 400 mL while not negligible, is quite small. Think of that volume as a little less than two little medicine cups of NyQuil. The most common reason women come back for a repeat breast augmentation is to get a bigger size. You should be able to try different breast implant sizes in your plastic surgeon's office. In the end, you may want to split the difference at 375 mL or just go with the bigger size to avoid regretting going too small. Anecdotally speaking, more patients have regretted going too small than too big! Best of luck!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.