Is breast hypomastia considered to be elective surgery? (Photo)

My employer has asked me to apply for short term disability during the time I'm taking off for my BA. I'm wondering if I'm eligible for STD benefits while healing from BA since it is seen as elective surgery, but my doctor has written that I am getting a BA due to breast hypomastia. Please help!

Is breast hypomastia considered to be elective surgery?

Yes, breast augmentation is considered elective cosmetic surgery.  He should inquire of the insurance provider whether specific description of the surgery is required to apply for benefits.

This is elective, disability does not apply

This is elective surgery and should be treated as such.  Disability benefits do not apply.  You need one week off.

Elective procedure

The procedure you are having is considered elective.  It will depend on the specifics of the STD policy that you have as to whether or not they will still offer benefits if the surgery is elective.

Camille Cash, MD

Hypomastia and temporary disability?

Hello bunni. Good luck on your upcoming breast augmentations surgery! The laws may work different there in BC than they do in Arizona. I suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon's office about whether you can get some short term benefits for the breast augmentation recuperation. They would know what works best in BC based on previous cases they've done. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Is breast hypomastia considered to be elective surgery

I am afraid they may not pay you for the time off as it is elective  cosmetic,and not of a medical neccessity

Julio Garcia, MD

Elective surgery

Breast enlargement with implants to treat hypomastia is considered elective surgery, therefore you may not be able to obtain short term disability. Not sure what the policies for this in Canada are.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

BA Benefits Claim

Breast augmentation due to "small breasts" is considered elective. You could try to claim benefits but will not likely succeed. All the best

Breast augmentation is not medically necessary

The diagnosis "breast hypoplasia" or "hypomastia" just means that the breasts are small. This is not a "medical condition" that requires covered benefits.

Short term disability?

Breast augmentation is generally considered elective and not medically necessary, with some exceptions.  Your short term disability carrier will likely deny this claim, but doesn't hurt to try.  Just be prepared that they deny.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Your doctor has to tell the truth as it is unethical and illegal to do otherwise, and you must consent in writing about releasing your medical information. For most doctors who perform the 24 Hour, Out To Dinner recovery surgery, there should be no need for a lot of time off, unless your job is heavy in terms of physical demands. The latest data for the textured implants which you may be getting is six weeks with no heavy physical activity such as exercise or lifting.

Mahmood Kara, MD