What is the healing time for periareolar incision vs inframammary?

My BA is scheduled for sept 26th and I am going to Mexico November 19th.

Healing time for BBA

Thank you for your question. The healing time, meaning your time to get back to full activity, will not vary significantly based on the approach selected. Deciding upon periareolar versus inframammary incision should be based on where you want the scar located, the size of the areola, and the breast shape itself. Certain breast shapes, such as a constricted breast, may lend itself to better correction via a periareolar approach. In general, the periareolar incision has a slightly higher chance of affecting nipple sensation as well as a higher risk of capsular contracture. I would discuss these concerns with your surgeon in order to make the best decision possible. Best regards.

Healing time for breast augmentation

The healing time for the incision itself is not the key issue.  Your surgeon's recommendations for post-op restrictions are based on the overall healing internally.  Some surgeons (myself included) feel that 3 - 4 weeks of restricted activity for the chest and chest muscles is the safest course.  Please check with your surgeon regarding these issues and your travel plans.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Healing time is the same for breast augmentation with either the periareolar or inframammary crease incision.What you should understand is that the risk of capsular contracture or hardening of the breast implant is greater when the periareolar incision is used.  When the incision is placed through the areola bacteria present in the breast gland are exposed to the implant and as a result there is an increased chance of hardening of the implant or capsular contracture.

Transaxillary endoscopic is more modern

The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic).  Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising.  Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created.   The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced.  Both silicone and saline implants can be placed through the armpit by a surgeon with skill and experience using this approach.  The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast.

Recovery after BA

Hi and thanks for posting your question!Both IMF and periareolar incisions heal at the same rate. Your travel arrangements should allow for plenty of time to recover after your operation. 
Best wishes

Rachel Streu, MD

Breast Augmentation Incision Recovery Time

Your incision should be long healed by then, though I advise my patients not to tan their scars for at least a year as this can cause permanent darkening. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about expectations for healing.
All the best

Breast augmentation - healing time for different incisions

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Your healing of the incisions will be essentially the same for inframammary and peri-areolar incisions.
  • Both should have 90%of their final strength in 6 weeks - before you head to Mexico!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Recovery after periareolar versus IMF

The actual recovery from either approach is the same. The decision of one over the other has to do with many factors, including surgeon experience, rates of altered nipple sensibility, capsular contracture rates,size of the implant being considered, and baseline breast anatomy. Typically, most surgeons in this country use an IMF incision. Studies have shown that there is a lower chance of altered nipple sensibility and capsular contraction rates with the IMF approach. Also, in the event that another procedure is required for any reason, the surgeon can usually go back through the same scar as opposed to creating a second scar if a previous periareolar approach was used. I recommend being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many breast and body procedures to examine you and discuss your goals and objectives.Best wishes,Dr, Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Healing time for periareolar -vs- inframammary incision?

Thank you for your question. The healing time for any breast augmentation approach is not really different depending upon incision placement. The recovery following sub-muscular placement is usually longer than for sub-glandular (on top of the muscle). Also, larger volume implants require more tissue stretching than smaller sizes, which can mean a somewhat longer recovery. Your plastic surgeon can give you a realistic expectation regarding post-operative recovery based on his/her experience.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

The healing time for breast augmentation incisions

You can expect that the healing time for an inframammary incision versus a peri areolar incision would be about the same. Therefore, this is not usually part of the decision when considering the two approaches.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon