Should I wait till after kids to have a breast augmentation?

I have wanted a breast augmentation for years now but my boyfriend thinks I should wait till after having kids. What are you expert opinions on this? Why should I wait? Or why is it okay to go ahead and have the implants done before kids?

Thank you for the thoughtful question.  Generally, timing of  breast augmentation is a very personal decision.  I advise patients if they are  planning on having  children in the near future (this is open to interpretation) to wait on the breast augmentation procedure. Doing it this way will  potentially minimize  the number of operations  that the patient will undergo.  

Unfortunately there is no way to predict exactly how a patient's breasts will change after pregnancy. A good indication may be to evaluate the changes that occurred with your mother's breasts after her pregnancies (although this is not foolproof either). It may be helpful to keep your weight as stable as possible (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) to prevent significant changes with the breasts related to the weight changes.

Some common changes seen with the breasts  after pregnancy include " involutional  hypoplasia" (breasts  become smaller)  and/or breast ptosis (" drooping"). The changes the breasts experience may be related to genetic factors, skin elasticity changes, hormonal effects, and/or weight gain/loss around the time of pregnancy.

Anecdotally, in our practice, we have seen many patients have pregnancies, and not require additional breast surgery subsequently.

Breast augmentation

Hi and thanks for your question. This is something you should decide by yourself. Do you want lo look better before having children? Breast feed is not affected by the presence of implants. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.Best wishes.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

It's a good question, and the answer really depends on your preference. Many women have breast implants before pregnancy and are happy with their decision. If you're planning to have children in the near future, then it may be best to wait until after your pregnancy.

Breast Augmentation Before or After Pregnancy

This is a great question and the short answer is the choice is yours.  There are pros and cons to each option and this is something we review at the consultation.  In general, patients who have no immediate plans for children tend to feel very comfortable moving forward with the procedure, but if a patient is planning on having kids very soon I will usually recommend waiting until she is done having children to have the procedure.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

The choice is yours

Hello and thank you for your question. Overall, this is a personal decision. If you are worried about the ability to be able to breastfeed after breast augmentation, the fact is that the studies suggest that breast augmentation does not affect ability to breastfeed. I have many women who are perfectionists and want to achieve the best version of themselves that is possible. If you fall into that category, you should get your breast augmentation now while your are young. No one can predict what will happen to your body after pregnancy, regardless of whether or not you have implants. Some women have a hard time getting back to their pre-pregnancy form. However, if you are happy with the way you look now, don't get a breast augmentation as a preventative measure. The reality is that after pregnancy, there is a chance that you may wish cosmetic enhancement of your breasts with either implants alone, a lift, or a combination of the two, so the more fiscally conservative will say to wait until after pregnancy to get it done, but the con of that strategy is that even after surgery, you might never look as good as you might have pre-pregnancy and you only live once. =) 

I hope this helps and make sure to seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast Augmentation after kids

There is no reason, no benefit to delaying.  You should have a personal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn everything you can and to make sure this is the right move for you.  If your surgeon feels that you are a good candidate, and if having the procedure is something that will make you feel better about yourself, it's the right time to go forward!

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right time to get your breast augmentation is completely up to you.

Hello, and thanks for sharing your question. This is one of the most common questions women often ask before deciding to go ahead with a breast augmentation, and for good reason. In truth, the answer is that it’s ultimately up to you and your personal preferences, although there are a few pros and cons to each choice. First, know that pregnancy and breastfeeding have the potential to affect your breast augmentation results, although many women do just fine getting implants before having children. If you do plan to breastfeed in the future, this is something that you’ll want to discuss with your plastic surgeon, as there are various surgical techniques and strategies that can help to ensure that you'll be able to breastfeed with your implants. My suggestion would be to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon either way, and he or she will likely be able to help you make the best decision to fit your current stage of life. Best of luck!

Breast Augmentation Before Having Kids

It depends on your reasons for waiting. If it is  concern about not being able to breastfeed, then that fear should not keep you from getting breast augmentation. Many women are able to breastfeed after breast augmentation. If your concern is about breast changes that occur with pregnancy, then it may be best to wait. Then again it depends on when you're planning to have children. If it's three or more years from now, go ahead and get some enjoyment now from your enhanced breasts. If you believe you plan on having children in the next three years, while its hard to predict how your breasts will change with pregnancy, it may be best to wait. In the end, the decision to get breast augmentation should come down to YOU, not your boyfriend. You're the one who looks in the mirror everyday and lives with your body 365 days of the year. In my humble opinion, a boyfriend doesn't get to make the same decisions about your life nor should he be allowed the same influence as a husband - a man who has chosen to commit to you and only you for the longterm, not just for the now. You've been thinking about it for years. Do what's right for you.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Breast Augmentation Before or After Having Children?

Great question.  I have added a video that provides my perspective on breast augmentation and pregnancy for you.  In short, my answer would be there is no need to wait and I have a number of patients who have done very well with breast implants in a then had a pregnancy.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

First of all thank you for the question. This is a personal decision that you would have to make.  I would recommend waiting if you are planning on having children with in the next year.  After having children you will experience changes in your breasts such as skin laxity (sagging).   If you are not planning on having children in the near future it would be perfectly okay to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon and discuss Breast Augmentation and your concerns.  Best of Luck to you.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon