I am 18 years old and I am suffering with gynecomastia. Can I get rid of it with medicine or else surgery is necessary? (Photo)


Doctor Answers 12

Gynecomastia Concern at a Young Age

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Your options

I know of no FDA approved non surgical/non invasive treatment for gynecomastia. If you are seeking non surgical options for mild gynecomastia, I think that Vanquish which uses RF energy, or UltraShape that uses ultrasound rather than Cool Sculpt would be the best option though all are off FDA usage. Surgery is the best option for the vast majority of patients with gynecomastia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews


Thank you for the photos.  In some cases gynecomastia will resolve on its own in early adulthood.  In most cases it won't.  If it doesn't resolve, the surgery to remove it is safe and effective.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for the best possible outcome.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Gynecomastia medicine

Gynecomastia usually is an abnormal growth of male breast tissue due to an abnormal reacton to the normal hormones of puberty, a side effect of steroids used for body building, a side effect of some medications or can develop in older men due to changing hormones with aging.  There is no antidote or reversal medication.  Once breasts have developed, in either men or women, they can only be removed surgically.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


So it looks like you will need surgery to correct this gynecomastia.  However, you should first be seen to be sure there is no other underlying cause for the condition other than having gone through puberty.  The surgery will be the best option.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Non-surgical treatment of gynecomastia

Unfortunately, the only way to permanently remove established gynecomastia is through surgery.  There are no creams, lotions, injections, pills or non-invasive lasers that will improve it.  You can achieve a better figure without surgery by wearing a snug compression garment under your clothing.

If you consider surgery, best to do your research and find a plastic surgeon in your area who is expert in gynecomastia surgery.  Check out my gynecomastia website for further information.

Best of luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Gynecomastia,medicine or surgery?

Unfortunately there is no medicine for gynecomastia.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


There is a medical work up for gynecomastia, as there are some medical conditions that cause it. Pot smoking also causes gynecomastia, so if you enjoy a bit of weed, stop.

Barring an underlying medical condition, surgery is the best treatment. I usually do a small excision combined with liposuction and I think this would work well for you.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review


I think that you need to be seen in person to evaluate the tissue. If it is primarily fatty in nature, then liposuction may be a good way to address it with minimal incisions. Sometimes excisional procedures are needed as well.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.