Based on my pictures, what grade of gynecomastia do you think I have? Mild or moderate? (photo)

I am a 27 year old male, whom has had gynecomastia since age 14. I want to know specifically what procedure would be best based on my pictures. I plan to have surgery done within the next three months.

Doctor Answers 10

About the Types of Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

#Normal Gynecomastia usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
#Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is particularly seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
With Adult Gynecomastia, fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common and doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
#Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
#Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have mild to moderate gynecomastia. The fullness is not too bad, but you have some looseness of the skin. You are a very good candidate for SmartLipo liposuction which will remove the excess fullness and the internal laser portion of this procedure will help to tighten the skin. This can be done with a needle puncture in the axillae which prevents scarring on the breast.  The procedure is done in the office and does not require general anesthesia.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have what I consider mild-moderat, not pronounced gynecomastia. I would treat this with Ultrasonic liposuction to melt the fat and the breast tissue. I think you can avoid an incision which often deforms the nipple areolar area.

Morad Tavallali, MD, FACS
Vienna Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Periareolar Approach

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello. Definitely the best approach due to your young age is a periareolar approach. Gland will not be removed with liposuction and therefore would be left behind if done as the only surgery. A periareolar incision on the lower areola borders will be the best way to visualize and remove all excessive fat AND gland. I also recommend liposuction on the surrounding breast mound in order to obtain an even contour and NOT leave behind a crater aspect. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Based on my pictures, what grade of gynecomastia do you think I have? Mild or moderate?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is an impossible question to answer without a comprehensive evaluation, becasue your gynecomastia started around the time of puberty.

Ever have significant weight issues?

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 24 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think you have mild-to moderate issues with your chest. If the chest feels more fatty in nature, perhaps liposuction is a good first choice with  little down time, and minimal incisions.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You should do well with surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
how much tissue and the quality of tissue to be removed is best determined by a physical examination.
i have found my best results in most cases, by using a periareolar incision (the lower half of the areola) . i personally feel that liposuction frequently cannot remove enough tissue.

good luck
david berman md

Gynecomastia Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Gynecomastia - surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for this question.

There are different grading systems for gynecomastia. Having said that I would classify you as "moderate".
There are different surgeries that can be done to treat this condition. In your case this would be determined after a physical examination. The surgery would at least consist of liposuction and likely some gland removal through one of several approaches.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The "degree" is not as important as your own perception of the issue. For some people it would be perfectly normal looking. Surgery is an outpatient procedure done with light sedation and can be performed through a tiny incision inside your armpit. Spend time with your local board certified plastic surgeon going over it. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.