Ripples in chest after gynecomastia liposuction? (Photo)

Hello, I am now 4 1/2 weeks post op (early I know) from gynecomastia surgery in which the dr. also took out 250 cc of fibrofatty/apidose tissue from both sides with a little bit of glandular tissue via ultrasonic lipo. I am regretting ever having the surgery. One of my main concerns is the rippling I have on both sides of my chest, mainly on the outside of the pec running up to the armpit. I have been firmly messaging it a ton and it doesn't seem to matter. What are my chances this goes away?

Ripples in Chest after Gynecomastia Liposuction

Being it's a little over a month, it's till quite early to determine the final #results. Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.  If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Ripples in chest after gynecomastia liposuction?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the post and photos. Yes you are early in the recovery and what you are seeing is likely a combination of differential swelling and perhaps adhesions. But it also looks like Mondor's thrombophlebitis. Refer to the link below for more information.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Rippling After Gynecomastia Liposuction

Rippling (I would call it ridging) can be permanent if too much fat was removed when the liposuction cannula was directed by the surgeon in a plane that is too superficial (too close to the skin surface). Nevertheless, it is too soon to judge and I suggest waiting at least three to six months. If after this time, they are still present, then the most probable cause was the above. Consult your physician for the best explanation as he will know details about your surgery that I do not. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Rippling after gyno surgery

I see your concerns. i think it is still way too early to get worked up over the rippling. i believe it will continue to improve. Follow your surgeon's instructions.

Gynecomastia

Some of your concerns may resolve with time as the swelling subsides. It is too early to tell just yet. Good luck and follow with your surgeon.

Only time will tell what the full ramifications are.
If you were local, I may try to enhance your skin shrinkage non operatively before full healing; that would depend on what I saw on my examination.
Otherwise fat grafting can re-contour any permanent defects.
Hope that helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia

There seems to be some issues. How ever it is too early to make a judgment because you are still swollen and healing. Review your concerns with your surgeon. Second opinion might be a good idea.