Breast augmentation in 6 days, but I just started amoxicillin for a respiratory infection. Will my surgery be postponed?

I'm having surgery next week, but I have a respiratory infection, so I went to my family doctor today and got antibiotics. My doctor doesn't think it would be a problem, assuming I'm no longer symptomatic by then. She did say I could call my surgeon and let him know, which I plan to do Monday morning. Based on this, what is the likelihood he'll want to reschedule? I'm on a 10-day round of amoxicillin, so I'll still be on it when I'm scheduled to go under for surgery.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, let your surgeon evaluate you and he will decide if the operation will be posponed

Contact your doctor.

This would be a decision for your operating surgeon. Contact his or her office and inform your surgeon of all your medications and symptoms. Best wishes. 

Dean Vistnes, MD. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay 

#drdeanvistnes #realself #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

This is a question that should be directed to your plastic surgeon promptly because that's who should be making the decision regarding your current illness and whether to proceed with surgery or delay.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Elective Surgery and Respiratory Infection

You should be evaluated by your surgeon a day or two prior to your surgery. It is not worth risking  infected implants due to undergoing surgery to early.

Good luck!

No one but your surgeon will be able to answer this question so follow your family doctor's advice and contact your surgeon Monday AM for the answer. In all likelihood I would guess the surgery will b able to be performed on schedule. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Bronchitis and breasts augmentation surgery

Dear Erin,

Every plastic surgeon has his own personal way of handling your situation. In my practice, if a patient does not have symptoms like fever and coughing and they are on antibiotics , we proceed  with surgery . After all, the patient took time off from work and got family or friends to stay with her during the initial recovery period. Obviously, if you are sick, surgery will be postpone. The only change in your regiment that I would have recommended is to switch the Amoxicillin to Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours, since it is more powerful and more convenient.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Postpone Breast Augmentation Due To Illness?

Breast augmentation is a purely elective surgery. You should be at your tip top health prior to elective surgery. I would personally not risk seeding the implants with bacteria from your infection just to avoid postponing surgery. Furthermore, why risk potential respiratory problems in connection with the general anesthesia? Definitely discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Infection and surgery

You have to speak with your surgeon to see how you are feeling and what symptoms you have at this point and as you approach your surgery date. Best of luck.

Thank you for your question.  I am glad that you will be seeing your plastic surgeon for an examination.  A serious upper respiratory infection requiring antibiotics in my practice is a contraindication to proceed with breast augmentation surgery.  There is both the concern for anesthesia which should not be done during an upper respiratory infection and concern for the implant.  Please discuss this in detail with your surgeon.

Cancelling surgery.

In a situation such as yours I usually ask my patients to come in and be evaluated a day before surgery. If things look good then we proceed. If you are still not feeling well then it makes sense to reschedule.

Hope you feel better.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon