Can you take antibiotics after a dental appointment instead of before?

I had BA done in February. I was prescribed antibiotics to take before my dental cleanings but I completely forgot to do that today before I saw my dentist! Will it still be effective if I take it ASAP as soon as I get home?

Before

You need to take it before.  With tooth extraction, mouth bacteria can enter the blood stream and potentially seed the implant.  The same principle holds true for the antibiotics that are given prior to making an incision for any plastic surgery procedure.  It has to be BEFORE the incision is made.

To be effective he should take here prophylactic antibiotics before dental procedure not after.  However since she forgot it is best to take them after and I doubt that you will have a problem.

Not effective

While many/most surgeon would say this is not needed(as it really isn't for total knee and hip prosthesis either), IF you actually want a benefit, you need to take the abx at least 1 hour prior to dental work. Taking the medication after won't really do much as the horse is already out of the barn.

Antibiotics

Although not ideal I would take them anyway .

Just take them within 24 hours 

There is really no evidenced based literature 

To support this treatment either way .

Regards 

Dr Shamoun 

John Milam Shamoun, MD FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, you are suposed to take antibiotics before the appointment as suscribed.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD