How long after breast augmentation would it be safe to start downhill skiing again?

After breast augmentation: When can I go downhill skiing

I advise my patients they may return to the gym at three weeks for activities like lower body weights, running, aerobics, and swimming. To determine what level of activity is right for you, you should listen to your body and see if there is any discomfort. This should be your guideline for your level of activity. For upper body weights and activity, patients report that they are more comfortable closer to six weeks. It's ways best to check with your surgeon's postoperative protocol. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Happy skiing.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Skiing Post Op

I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to clear you for activities after your surgery. Typically, my patients are able to return to full upper body activity and exercise after 6 weeks.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Skiing after breast augmentation

As an avid skier myself, I understand your desire to get back on the slopes!  Scar tissue reaches maximum strength at around 3 months, so ideally you would wait that period of time after an augmentation to ski again.  It's not the skiing itself that worries me, but a bad fall could traumatize a recently operated on breast and would put you at higher risk to damage the pockets or suffer a hematoma.  If you are a careful skier and don't think you will fall (and you will avoid skiing rougher terrain like moguls or trees), you could try sooner, but I would be very cautious about even that level of skiing before the 6-8 week postoperative period is over.  Breast surgery is a significant physical and financial investment, so do your best to prevent complications!  There's always spring skiing or next season...

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Regular Activity

Hi, as long as you do not have any complications we tell our patients after a month post op you can return to all regular activities.  Make sure to listen to your body if you start and it does not feel right I would not do the activity or take it very easy.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks. 

breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used.

Best of luck!!

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Resuming physical activity

It is not so much when it is safe to resume skiing, but when you could sustain a fall. As with all sports that present unforeseeable and uncontrolled risks, including skydiving, waterskiing, and the like, I advise my patients to use a great deal of caution and to be very conservative.  I advise my patients to wait at least three to six months after their operation before resuming any sport that might result in getting hurt. Even then you do it at your own risk.

Stephen E. Zucker, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, I recommend to wait for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Exercise after breast augmentation

I tell my patients to wait 6 weeks after surgery to resume their full work out schedule, this includes skiing. But you should ask your surgeon to make sure that is what he/she recommends as well. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Skiing after breast augmentation

I usually allow patients to go back to light aerobics within about 4 weeks or so and heavy lifting and exertion within about 6-8 weeks. Best to check with your surgeon.